5 DKH increase overnight dripping HELP!

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I tested my ALK which was at 7.2 and then decided to bump it up a bit manually by using the manual feature of my doser. I’ve done this multiple times and each time it should increase it by around 1 DKH. However this morning it was at 12.6! I jumped first time I did it and tested again. 12.6 again. Both last night’s and this morning’s test were done with Hanna ALK, newly opened reagent so it is most definitely not an error.

Then I found the culprit. The airline tubing apparently kept on dropping by itself through gravity somehow overnight. Every few seconds, another drop came. I noticed that the fan I have in the sump accelerated this process

Now despite the 5 DKH increase in 10 hours, most of my corals look fine. All my soft and LPS are fleshy and open, I notice that my acros have the most polyp extension I have ever seen. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or bad thing. My plate coral is looking awful though. What can I do now? Do I just let everything be?

What can I do to stop the airline tubing from dripping by itself in the future? IMG_7144.jpeg IMG_7145.jpeg IMG_7147.jpeg IMG_7146.jpeg IMG_7148.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7143.mov
    71.6 MB
OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over 12dkh is on the higher side but all is fine. I ran 12dkh most of my reefing days with no problems and coral growth.
Yea I am not worried about the 12 DKH directly, it’s only that I am worried about it increasing from 7 to 12 in a 10 hour period

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 hour rise in DKH doesn’t pose any risk.
It’s outside of the 4 hour mark
Interesting, when I search up how fast I can raise my alk it always says to not do more than 1 DKH a day. I thought 5 was way too much so I freaked out, I wonder why people always say 1 DKH then?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your peristaltic pump is allowing liquid to flow through than it means the rollers aren’t pinching off the tubing like they should be and you should replace the dosing head. I’d also recommend changing the height of your line to where liquid can’t siphon into your tank even if the pump head is leaking through.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I will lower my resovoirs, thank y'all. But I am still curious to the 1 DKH per day rule

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Last night I tested my ALK which was at 7.2 and then decided to bump it up a bit manually by using the manual feature of my doser. I’ve done this multiple times and each time it should increase it by around 1 DKH. However this morning it was at 12.6! I jumped first time I did it and tested again. 12.6 again. Both last night’s and this morning’s test were done with Hanna ALK, newly opened reagent so it is most definitely not an error.

Then I found the culprit. The airline tubing apparently kept on dropping by itself through gravity somehow overnight. Every few seconds, another drop came. I noticed that the fan I have in the sump accelerated this process

Now despite the 5 DKH increase in 10 hours, most of my corals look fine. All my soft and LPS are fleshy and open, I notice that my acros have the most polyp extension I have ever seen. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or bad thing. My plate coral is looking awful though. What can I do now? Do I just let everything be?

What can I do to stop the airline tubing from dripping by itself in the future? IMG_7144.jpeg IMG_7145.jpeg IMG_7147.jpeg IMG_7146.jpeg IMG_7148.jpeg
This is a safe " High" reading and while you can do water changes, your coral will consume a little each day, thereby lowering numbers gradually. Assure PH has not become elevated as alk works like a stimulant for Ph

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but IME when alk swings like this occur, problems in corals, if they happen, don’t manifest themselves until weeks later. I’m not saying your corals are going to STN or RTN in a couple of weeks. For all I know, your corals will be fine. I’m just saying that corals have a delayed reaction to these kind of events.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but IME when alk swings like this occur, problems in corals, if they happen, don’t manifest themselves until weeks later. I’m not saying your corals are going to STN or RTN in a couple of weeks. For all I know, your corals will be fine. I’m just saying that corals have a delayed reaction to these kind of events.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it doesn't turn out that way :face-with-head-bandage:

Is there anything I can do now to mitigate that if it does perhaps happen?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What can I do to stop the airline tubing from dripping by itself in the future?

I wouldn't worry about 12dkh. You can turn off your dosing head until it comes down.

But I would suspect that you dosing head may need some maintenance.

My understanding is that dosing heads don't actually pump the supplement. Dosing happens on a siphon, and the dosing head controls the rate of siphon.

If the tubing in the head isn't periodically cleared, debris in the tube prevent the head from completely pinching off the flow, allowing for the drip that caused your issue.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The .5dkh daily flux “rule” for Alk speaks more to the stability of your system, not to an overdose. Daily fluxed more than .5dkh can make some corals unhappy and stressed.

If your system ran stable where it was, I’d just put it back through advanced water changes.

That being said running your 7.2dkh (I run 10dkh) I am not a fan of, no room for error on the lower end.

Your tube must run below the point where the dose comes out, if something goes wrong, it won’t allow gravity to keep the dose going, or drip.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I agree with this - you will see if you were ok or not a few weeks later..

But 5 DKH jump is a lot - so my bet is you will get STN at least for some SPS eventually..

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, when I search up how fast I can raise my alk it always says to not do more than 1 DKH a day. I thought 5 was way too much so I freaked out, I wonder why people always say 1 DKH then?
I believe because a swing like that, CAN shut down coral growth and then run a risk of precipitation , so the recommendation of 1dkh a day is just the safe way to do it.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of this morning, ALK tested at a 9.6, meaning its been consumed, everything is open and just like yesterday, plate coral seems to have recovered. I am going to try to keep the DKH at around 10 using this opportunity

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As of this morning, ALK tested at a 9.6, meaning its been consumed, everything is open and just like yesterday, plate coral seems to have recovered. I am going to try to keep the DKH at around 10 using this opportunity
IMO there is t anything wrong w 7ish Alk. When I ran the triton method I was around 6.8. The main thing w Alk is just stability.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 40.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back