5 month old tank Algae outbreak & corals suddenly dying

Ryan1595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 29 gallon AIO tank and everything was looking really healthy for about the first 3 months. I do weekly 15% water changes and keep all the normal parameters.

Salinity-1.25
Alk - 8 dkh
Nitrates - 0 ppm
Phosphate - 0 ppm
Calcium - 400 ppm
Temp - 78 f

I started to get an algae outbreak and I began to dose vibrant weekly. The only export I have in my tank is a protein skimmer. Immediately after I began dosing vibrant I was met with a huge cyano outbreak and it covered everything. I have two power heads in a 29 gallon so flow was not the issue. I dosed chemiclean and after two days cleared up and I did a water change. The cyano keeps returning and the algae keeps getting worse. Now all of my corals are dying, hammers, monti cap, Xenia, and even my GSP has started to recede. The hammers are losing polyps which I found out is due to low nutrients (due to the algae). I began directly feeding corals with reef roids and a syringe but the hammer and Xenia continue to wither.

I don’t know what to do because in order to kill the algae I need low nutrients, but low nutrients is killing my softies... please help!!

The video attached is how it looked two months ago. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1008.MOV
    24.4 MB

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,your nutrients are not there,try dumping 1 x skimmate back into tank,try to get phos and nitratesup a little

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of now might help, but otherwise. As others have said; Yep, turn off the skimmer for a half the day for a few weeks and or change water changes to every other week. 0 Nitrates and Phos not good. Lessen the lighting hours Cyno eats light up so a day or 3 in the dark can help you. You can run a siphon vac through a filter sock to help clear up the sand and then put the water back in. That's what I do to keep my sand clean.

OP
OP
R

Ryan1595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of now might help, but otherwise. As others have said; Yep, turn off the skimmer for a half the day for a few weeks and or change water changes to every other week. 0 Nitrates and Phos not good. Lessen the lighting hours Cyno eats light up so a day or 3 in the dark can help you. You can run a siphon vac through a filter sock to help clear up the sand and then put the water back in. That's what I do to keep my sand clean.

photo_2020-10-06_21-45-01.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ryan1595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

photo_2020-10-06_21-45-01.jpg

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That ilooks like Green Hair Algae (GHA) The vibrant takes a few weeks to help, but should knock it out. I'd also feed a little less and turn your lighting schedule down some. How many hours a day you run and what kind of light? Surprised to see that with 0 nitrates and phos. if you are able pinch off whatever you can and or take out some of the rocks and use a nice brush on it (I use something like Ikea dish brush on my rocks).

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
phos is bound in the gha

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is green hair and I question your phos level and TDS if your water.
Are you using RO water or tap water from the faucet?
Also, is tank at or near a window?
My suggestion- pull as much GHA as you can by hand and add some snails such as:
4- turbo
3- nerite
3 nassarius
4 trochus
6 blue leg hermits

Reduce white light intensity or turn them off for a few days. Add chemipure elite to the sump.

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a 3 day blackout twice in my current tank with almost all algae gone and corals happier after completion. It's a quick fix not a solution to the root cause, but does kill algae.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your rodi water you are mixing as well. Lights schedule and other things will lead to an algae outbreak. It’s normal even with a well established tank. I have issues more in the summer than the winter here with gha. Also, you can pick off the gha and speed that up. Do this with no flow in the tank. You can also do hydrogen peroxide on where you pick off the gha. It will kill it but will affect your orp and dkh for a little bit. Not to bad though.

hey_hey_heeyyyyyy!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, my tank started to see an algae bloom a few months ago. After some research, I found @AlgaeBarn and bought pods with phyto. I drop 5-10ML of phyto in daily. My tank is now beautiful. Almost zero algae and what does grow, my snails eat. I just ordered their Ultimate EcoPack. https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/live-foods/combo-packs/ultimate-ecopack/

They don't pay me or anything, I just believe in the product 100%.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, my tank started to see an algae bloom a few months ago. After some research, I found @AlgaeBarn and bought pods with phyto. I drop 5-10ML of phyto in daily. My tank is now beautiful. Almost zero algae and what does grow, my snails eat. I just ordered their Ultimate EcoPack. https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/live-foods/combo-packs/ultimate-ecopack/

They don't pay me or anything, I just believe in the product 100%.
There’s a guy on here and FB “the copepod dude” who sells a lot of the stuff Algae barn does but cheaper and more concentrated. Comparing his pod blend to Algae Barn 5280 pods was night and day for me.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back