5 or 10 micron filter sock for lanthanum?

Which micron size do you use with lanthanum chloride?

• Total voters

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do 10 micron filter socks filter lanthanum chloride precipitate well?
Or does a 5 micron filter sock actually do a noticeably better job?

Anyone has experience with both?
Is the 5 micron sock harder to clean? (talking in terms of dislodging the precipitate for future use with lanthanum chloride)

Does any of you add filter floss to the filter sock?

Thanks a lot!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 100 micron socks for my everyday sock. When dosing Lanthanum I use the same socks. They do a fine job clearing up the water and everything is crystal clear in an hour or so.

I drip the Lanthanum into the return pump section of my sump.

I have been using LC for years and have never used special socks and do not see a need for them.

Save your money and just use the socks you already have.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose to my weir. I do see some precipitate in the sump overflow section. By the time it passes through the 100 micron socks, I cannot visually detect anything in the skimmer section.

That said -- and this could be total coincidence -- when I initially started dosing, I did have two tangs go a bit weird behaviorally. My powder blue particularly. He went from tank boss to hiding & not eating for a couple weeks. He has since recovered.

I feel like I've read of people dosing into their skimmers so it is sucked out as a flocculant. I cannot speak to the effectiveness of this. I would welcome any other thoughts or recommendations. The tang thing is apparently a thing, although some people poo-poo that.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose to my weir. I do see some precipitate in the sump overflow section. By the time it passes through the 100 micron socks, I cannot visually detect anything in the skimmer section.

That said -- and this could be total coincidence -- when I initially started dosing, I did have two tangs go a bit weird behaviorally. My powder blue particularly. He went from tank boss to hiding & not eating for a couple weeks. He has since recovered.

I feel like I've read of people dosing into their skimmers so it is sucked out as a flocculant. I cannot speak to the effectiveness of this. I would welcome any other thoughts or recommendations. The tang thing is apparently a thing, although some people poo-poo that.
I tried it a few months ago using the skimmer method and socks. Thought all my tangs were gonna die, have not done it since. The symptoms they were showing cleared up very quickly once I stopped.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it a few months ago using the skimmer method and socks. Thought all my tangs were gonna die, have not done it since. The symptoms they were showing cleared up very quickly once I stopped.
Tang symptoms? Mine just went to ground. Shade. Stayed in the rock. 2-3 weeks. You?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
breathing extremely fast, freaked out and just seemed a bit confused.
It is worth a continued dialogue IMO. LCl is a great tool but I do feel there is some risk with it for fish in particular. I prefer to use it because GFO is hard/impossible to dial in for my system and easily gets me into trouble with SPS when I go too fast/too far.

More experiences?

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thread lives......I just added 10ml Lanthanum, 20ml RO in my 120 to a floss - stuffed 225 micron nylon Red Sea sock. PO was 1.0. Clouded, had to crank the skimmer. Tank cleared in 1 hour and all of my fish-including 3 tangs-are fine.
I was searching for a 5ml sock but can't find one. Would a 100 micron sock make a difference?

v3v3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a tang anymore (is not lanthanum fault). I drip diluted lanthanum from a soda bottle in to a 5micron sock with a rate of 1 drop per 2-3 seconds. But after 1 day the sock need cleaning, washing, i have very high PO4. First i tried with floss, but i saw the precipitate dispersing in water. I will stay with 5 micron sock

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did 20ml LAN and 40Mil RO, 2 hrs after my first does and the water showed more intense cloudiness but still cleared within 2 hours. No effect on the fish but a slight difference on some of the corals. I am going to test soon.
Does anyone know how long AFTER administering Lan that the reduction in PO will show on a test kit?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back