500 gallon tank set up

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i am setting up a Herbie style overflow could send me pics of how you have it setup ? Appreciate it
This is a top down. On the right side of the image you have the emergency (top pipe at surface) and the full siphon under water below it. The cross pipe is the return from the sump. The open pipe above water is a tank pass through so if I need power heads, I can pass the cords through that to under the tank to plug in. (Requirement from wifey was no visible cords in the tank or coming out of the tank).

Attachments

• 20210503_105712.jpg
    20210503_105712.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
TTTony

TTTony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dual return pumps DC 1300 and 15,000 gallon per hour, reef octopus 250 skimmer, and a 600 water heater, auto top off etc. will be hooking up a Neptune shortly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be hard to recommend a proper return pump without knowing the intended drain size + return size + overflow size although for my similarly sized system I went with 2 red dragon 230w flow models.
Frankly jebaos are likely fine if you want an inexpensive dc option or fluval sp for internal ac option

I've seen a large number of big tanks with tiny overflows and 3/4-1" bulkhead holes before which imo is far from ideal for any marine/reef setting. If this tank is being designed new at the very least I would suggest taking the time to plan out 2 return holes for the easier option of running 2 pumps (for redundancy) + utilizing 3 drain holes for at least 1.5" bulkheads (depending on intended return gph and overflow capacity)

For heating I would recommend multiple eheim jagers controlled by a ranco or aqualogic controller. It's a bullet proof combo bar the size of eheims heaters (a potential issue with your 48x20 sump foot print)

Skimmer wise I would simply recommend any that utilize a dc feed pump since you may change your filtration methods over time (socks to floss/roller fleece etc) which makes for a more consistently performing skimmer ime.

Lastly if your tank is going to be built entirely new I would also very strongly reccomend going with thicker acrylic to reduce any bowing (especially at 36" of height). The more the tank bows the easier it will be to scratch and a significant bow is very noticable and unsightly. The last thing I would want for you is to regret your purchase of a large tank.
I know this is old but this is such helpful advice for someone completely new. Would you recommend the same advice you gave here for a 120Lx36Wx30H tank?

I have bought the Regal 300EXT 12” skimmer, four mp60s, 2 sdc 9.0 return pumps, reef mat 1200, and will be using the versa pumps for dosing. How would you recommend that I plumb the tank?

I found this bashsea sump that would fit my needs but don’t know if it’s big enough for 560g or if it’ll be able to hold the back flow

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old but this is such helpful advice for someone completely new. Would you recommend the same advice you gave here for a 120Lx36Wx30H tank?

I have bought the Regal 300EXT 12” skimmer, four mp60s, 2 sdc 9.0 return pumps, reef mat 1200, and will be using the versa pumps for dosing. How would you recommend that I plumb the tank?

I found this bashsea sump that would fit my needs but don’t know if it’s big enough for 560g or if it’ll be able to hold the back flow

I'll go ahead and start with the sump, whole heartedly recommend skipping that and ordering a standard/custom glass/custom acrylic since it's going to be a lot more complicated for such a large system.

One issue you will run into running 2 pumps and having likely a 1.5" drain would be running a single roller mat since they cant handle more than a 1" full siphon (~2000gph) anything more will likely exponentially+prematurely burn through your paper usage through prematurely triggering the sensor. The 3 solutions would be ditching the roller (not ideal since you bought it and want less maintenance than socks most likely), purchasing another ($$$), or letting some water bypass the roller (i guess that defeats the purpose).

Since you already are going with a dual return system, I would simply recommend plumbing one as a manifold pump (if desired for uv/reactors/recirc skimmer/etc) that finishes into the display and then the other just being a simple return pump. Frankly if a manifold is not desired, I have since rescinded my old statement of recommending dual return pumps since it's entirely wasteful otherwise.

Definitely take the time to plan out what equipment you'll end up using for sure before buying/ordering anything as a sump and talk to a few lfs (if able) to see what they could order you as far as custom glasswork is concerned for a sump if glass isn't out of the question. Something like a standard 125g without a center brace (won't be as necessary due to baffles) would definitely cost a lot less than the bashea one you linked but have the advantage of having a 72x18" foot print (with a possibly minor disadvantage of being about 24" tall) I would hate for you to end up like some other fellow I saw here recently who couldn't sell his sump and had to cut it up just to fit something he bought :eek:

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go ahead and start with the sump, whole heartedly recommend skipping that and ordering a standard/custom glass/custom acrylic since it's going to be a lot more complicated for such a large system.

One issue you will run into running 2 pumps and having likely a 1.5" drain would be running a single roller mat since they cant handle more than a 1" full siphon (~2000gph) anything more will likely exponentially+prematurely burn through your paper usage through prematurely triggering the sensor. The 3 solutions would be ditching the roller (not ideal since you bought it and want less maintenance than socks most likely), purchasing another ($$$), or letting some water bypass the roller (i guess that defeats the purpose).

Since you already are going with a dual return system, I would simply recommend plumbing one as a manifold pump (if desired for uv/reactors/recirc skimmer/etc) that finishes into the display and then the other just being a simple return pump. Frankly if a manifold is not desired, I have since rescinded my old statement of recommending dual return pumps since it's entirely wasteful otherwise.

Definitely take the time to plan out what equipment you'll end up using for sure before buying/ordering anything as a sump and talk to a few lfs (if able) to see what they could order you as far as custom glasswork is concerned for a sump if glass isn't out of the question. Something like a standard 125g without a center brace (won't be as necessary due to baffles) would definitely cost a lot less than the bashea one you linked but have the advantage of having a 72x18" foot print (with a possibly minor disadvantage of being about 24" tall) I would hate for you to end up like some other fellow I saw here recently who couldn't sell his sump and had to cut it up just to fit something he bought :eek:
I appreciate all the knowledge once again. I’m still fairly new and sort of struggle understanding the plumbing/sump aspect so hearing all your feedback is extremely helpful but then makes me think there’s much more to learn lol.

I don’t have anyone local that’s helpful since they rather me order the tank brands they’re paid to push. I’m almost at the point that I rather pay someone to tell what to exactly order since I don’t want to order anything that won’t work with my set up… I found this advanced acrylics sump that I guess almost meets everything you stated?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the knowledge once again. I’m still fairly new and sort of struggle understanding the plumbing/sump aspect so hearing all your feedback is extremely helpful but then makes me think there’s much more to learn lol.

I don’t have anyone local that’s helpful since they rather me order the tank brands they’re paid to push. I’m almost at the point that I rather pay someone to tell what to exactly order since I don’t want to order anything that won’t work with my set up… I found this advanced acrylics sump that I guess almost meets everything you stated?

That’s a nice sump I have the exact same one… do you not have a local fish store? Somebody gotta do Maintence and could help you out… it would help to know what your plans are with the tank “maybe I missed it” but it’s not as complicated as it seems… it doesn’t take much run a successful reef tank! With all the automated crap today it can be scary thou… if you wanna go old skool it’s really simple..

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a nice sump I have the exact same one… do you not have a local fish store? Somebody gotta do Maintence and could help you out… it would help to know what your plans are with the tank “maybe I missed it” but it’s not as complicated as it seems… it doesn’t take much run a successful reef tank! With all the automated crap today it can be scary thou… if you wanna go old skool it’s really simple..
I do, but i was sort of just shoved Red Sea down my throat and why I should buy one of their setups because there isn’t many custom acrylic builders lol…

It will be a mixed reef tank with mostly tangs. I have already bought almost everything to make everything as automated as possible. I have no problem with paying for help but I rather learn from non bias people that aren’t trying to sell me their product or service

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Since glass seems to be out of the equation (nothing wrong with that)
I would personally pick one of these
And then ask for a modification for 2 redsea 1200 roller mats if you want to proceed with using them.
I would pick that over the advanced acrylics style mainly because I personally don't have a use for those chambers but if you know for sure you'll make use of them then it might be more worthwhile than the simple tsunami style (would still need to request modifications for roller mats otherwise the sock areas a huge waste again)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you happy with yours & what size is your tank?

should their 84"x24"x16" be enough for a 560g tank and handle all the back flow of the 4 mp60s and two pumps I’ll be running? AA suggested that I go with a custom 80x29x16 but quoted me $4650

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd vote to go bigger than the 48x20 as well for the sump - Love the big tanks!
Yep, that’s the plan, those sizes were for the sump. I plan on going 120x36x30 for the DT. Just working out the plumbing area before I officially place an order for the tank & sump

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

should their 84"x24"x16" be enough for a 560g tank and handle all the back flow of the 4 mp60s and two pumps I’ll be running? AA suggested that I go with a custom 80x29x16 but quoted me $4650
My display is 275… the back fill will depend on where they set your over flow and if you have check valves etc.. that price is crazy for a sump, wow! Lol…

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display is 275… the back fill will depend on where they set your over flow and if you have check valves etc.. that price is crazy for a sump, wow! Lol…
Yeah especially when their 84"x24"x16" sump is priced at 2900. He quoted me in a previous email $150 upcharge to change the socks to fit two reef mats so that price jump is a no go for me lol.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

84x24x16 will be enough to handle approximately 3.2" of water backflow from the display at your size assuming you run your sump at about 9" water height (typically the amount thats right for most skimmers)

Your vortechs will have 0 effect on how much water volume the sump needs to hold in the event of a power outage and similarly wont affect the drain speed either.

I'll ask again just to pick your brain, do you really need all those fancy chambers in a sump? If not, save the money and get something way more simple.

Edit: forgot to add that that dimension is more than large enough assuming your stand is high enough to fit basically every wet piece of gear you would ever need.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back