OP
P

pghreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your kitchen/ bar area looks beautiful, the tank should look nice too.

Thanks, the look of the stone pillars on both sides and the rough cut wood is how we are finishing the tank as well. Two 30" stone pillars will be on both sides.

OP
OP
P

pghreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the addiction and make sure you enlist some veterans for advice since fish stores don't always put together a lot of these large tanks. Also "two heads are better than one"

Thanks, I will do so. I am still trying to decide of this should be a Reef tank or a FOWLR tank. I really like puffers and some triggers that aren't reef safe. But I like the beauty of a Reef as well. So not sure!

OP
OP
P

pghreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3624.JPG
OK so first question. Maybe I am over thinking this but want to see what others think. I have (2) 1 in and one 1/2 in flexible tubing that goes back to drains and mixing station. I am trying to decide if I should run those out of the ceiling and down the wall on the outside or fish them down inside the wall and pop out just under the top bar of the steel stand? I am going to use a 2 gang "old work" box to pop out. Then I will hole saw 3 holes into a blank plate for a finished look.

Probably doesn't matter either way, anyone see anything I don't?

hartin461

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3624.JPG
OK so first question. Maybe I am over thinking this but want to see what others think. I have (2) 1 in and one 1/2 in flexible tubing that goes back to drains and mixing station. I am trying to decide if I should run those out of the ceiling and down the wall on the outside or fish them down inside the wall and pop out just under the top bar of the steel stand? I am going to use a 2 gang "old work" box to pop out. Then I will hole saw 3 holes into a blank plate for a finished look.

Probably doesn't matter either way, anyone see anything I don't?

Looking good...Cool looking home.

OP
OP
P

pghreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the tank come in this weekend? Any pictures/ updates?

:mad: No.. Builder couldnt gather enough people to help and today is out because of down pours here in PA. I promise i will post the day it comes. He committed to a day this week for sure.

Blue Carbon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would opt for gravity doing the work if possible. Is this going to a fish room? Where is that located in regards to the display tank? If you are going up a ceiling and back down I would consider the difference in the pumps you will need because of the added head pressure. Also I would consider how much exposed piping you have or need to hide. Not knowing where it is going it is hard to say but if it were me I would opt for using gravity if possible at least in one direction. Less pumps is less electricity, less things that can fail, need to be maintenanced, etc.. If you need a pump you may find the added head pressure will result in loss of flow.

OP
OP
P

pghreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3627.JPG
IMG_3628.JPG
So delivery of the tank is on for tonight, I will post updates after its on the stand, but here are a couple pics of the completed tank.

Blue Carbon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! Are the overflow boxes going to remain frosted or is there a protective film over them for shipping or something?

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will do so. I am still trying to decide of this should be a Reef tank or a FOWLR tank. I really like puffers and some triggers that aren't reef safe. But I like the beauty of a Reef as well. So not sure!

Oh man, do yourself a favor and go FOWLR. You'll end up saving thousands in the long run by not spending money on all of the beautiful coral ;) kidding of course... It is a bummer that some of the really awesome fish available aren't reef safe. Whichever route you decide this tank is going to be awesome!!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's looking good! It was MUCH easier getting the tank in than I thought that it would be.

Looks awesome! Are the overflow boxes going to remain frosted or is there a protective film over them for shipping or something?

They are frosted. We (my boss @AmericanAquariums made the tank, I am the LFS guy), like the frosted look and he did that on purpose. Love them or hate them, either way they aren't visible with the install.

I totally vote full blown reef tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Other.

Back