500g Stocking Ideas

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in process of setting up a 500g mixed reef tank that is 96 x 40 x 32 and I'm starting to think about fish. I really like keeping conspecific groups. I'm thinking about keeping large numbers of the following fish:
  • Anthias - Undecided. I am curious about Pseudanthias rubrizonatus, Pseudanthias pictilis and Pseudanthias flavoguttatus
  • Fusilier Damselfish, Lepidozygus tapeinosoma
  • Watanabei Angel, Genicanthus watanabei (have male) with Melanospilos, Watanabei, and Semifasciatus females
  • Gold Assessor, Assessor flavissimus
  • Gobies, Gobiosoma macrodon
I have read that melanospilos and semifasciatus females may pair well with the Watanabei male. Has anyone tried this?

Maybe a tang gang?? I like:
  • Japonicus and Achilles
  • Curious about Nigrofuscus
  • Koles or White Tails from the Ctenochaetus family
  • Zebrasomas Flavescens, Gemmatum, Xanthurum
Curious about Amphiprion perideraion group with Heteractis magnifica. Anyone with experience with these guys in a group setting?

I am also interested in a group (?) Halichoeres hortulanus, but they need sand. I had been planning a bare bottom tank because the tank will have tons of flow. But, maybe I could pile up the sand on one side of the tank...

Feel free to chime in about additions, considerations, experiences, or stocking order. Thanks so much!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a 500. We had 4 species of tangs, 2 pair of clowns, gobies, anthias… you name it, we had it. A 500 gives you endless possibilities. Have fun!

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been noodling on my fish list for a while now and I think it's finally ready!

• Amphiprion perideraion group

• Pseudanthias parvirostris group
• Pseudanthias smithvanizi group
• Pseudanthias lori / flavoguttatus / cf. aurulentus group (depends on price and availability)

• Genicanthus watanabei and melanospilos female group

• Paracentropyge multifasciata group

• Scarus quoyi

• Zebrasoma flavescens group
• Naso elegans
• Acanthurus leucosternon
• Zebrasoma gemmatum

• Apogon aureus group

• Assessor flavissimus group

• Liopropoma tonstrinum / carmabi / rubre / swalesi pair (depends on price and availability)

• Cirrhilabrus lineatus
• Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis
• Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
• Cirrhilabrus roseafascia

Now I'm trying to figure out numbers of fish to order for each group. Any one have any advice in regards to optimal numbers?

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, the first group of fish have been ordered—hooray!

This is what I am starting with:
Amphiprion perideraion pair (for my magnifica)
6 Pseudanthias parvirostris females
6 Pseudanthias smithvanizi females
6 Pseudanthias lori females

The second grouping are the cirrhilabrus wrasses, quoyi, liopropoma pair, apogon and assessors groups. I'm not sure if the apogon and assessor groups are available. If they're not available, I'm thinking of a trio of dejongi.

Do you think multifasciata should be included in the second group or in the last group?

I bet you can guess who will be in the last group.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been noodling on my fish list for a while now and I think it's finally ready!

• Amphiprion perideraion group

• Pseudanthias parvirostris group
• Pseudanthias smithvanizi group
• Pseudanthias lori / flavoguttatus / cf. aurulentus group (depends on price and availability)

• Genicanthus watanabei and melanospilos female group

• Paracentropyge multifasciata group

• Scarus quoyi

• Zebrasoma flavescens group
• Naso elegans
• Acanthurus leucosternon
• Zebrasoma gemmatum

• Apogon aureus group

• Assessor flavissimus group

• Liopropoma tonstrinum / carmabi / rubre / swalesi pair (depends on price and availability)

• Cirrhilabrus lineatus
• Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis
• Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
• Cirrhilabrus roseafascia

Now I'm trying to figure out numbers of fish to order for each group. Any one have any advice in regards to optimal numbers?
Double check the chart on Fairy Wrasse because I don’t think all of those guys will work. As for group numbers with them, DONT. All wrasses in that genus turn male eventually. and males of the same species fight. One or two males will do alright in your tank but any more than that and maybe not so much.

The Quoyi parrotfish may not do well with smaller fish once it gets larger (1-2” fish). I’m unsure if they do well with wrasses but I personally wouldn’t risk it.

If your going to go into basslets, go big or go home haha, go for which ever you like the look of more!

Add a goby gang in there, you can never have too little! A good thing with gobies is they can mix with different species quite easily - They ignore eachother completely!

IMO, don’t go for a group of Yellow Tangs, I have found in the end they kill eachother off anyway. And even in the largest of tanks there have been times where huge groups of YT kill off the weakest every few years (2-3 deaths a year).

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check the chart on Fairy Wrasse because I don’t think all of those guys will work. As for group numbers with them, DONT. All wrasses in that genus turn male eventually. and males of the same species fight. One or two males will do alright in your tank but any more than that and maybe not so much.

The Quoyi parrotfish may not do well with smaller fish once it gets larger (1-2” fish). I’m unsure if they do well with wrasses but I personally wouldn’t risk it.
Wrasses are from the different complexes/boxes on the compatibility chart. The closest are the lineatus and rhomboidalis. Anyone think these two will bother each other?

Do you have more info on the Quoyi? I've done a lot reading and haven't run into anything suggesting that they are anything but peaceful. Longevity-wise it seems hit or miss with Quoyi.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are from the different complexes/boxes on the compatibility chart. The closest are the lineatus and rhomboidalis. Anyone think these two will bother each other?

Do you have more info on the Quoyi? I've done a lot reading and haven't run into anything suggesting that they are anything but peaceful. Longevity-wise it seems hit or miss with Quoyi.
IME, Quoyi can get rather boisterous when they’re larger but since you have a large tank I don’t think it should be an issue.

As for the other Wrasses (Parrotfish are part of the family Labriidae) I have read about roseafascia being a bit more boisterous. It shouldn’t be an issue. Your tank size should be helpful with these fish though. Get yourself some flashers!! Man they will bring out some nice colours in your fairies.

Altogether, I can’t really talk on wrasses not getting along and not working as I’ve had WAY too much luck with my wrasse gang. I have fish that are in red boxes with fish in green boxes as well as wrasse from the same complex getting along.

OP
OP
M

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the other Wrasses (Parrotfish are part of the family Labriidae) I have read about roseafascia being a bit more boisterous.

Altogether, I can’t really talk on wrasses not getting along and not working as I’ve had WAY too much luck with my wrasse gang. I have fish that are in red boxes with fish in green boxes as well as wrasse from the same complex getting along.
I'm hoping to have the same experience with my wrasse additions. They are all green and yellow box personalities.

I kept 3 yellow tangs together for prob about 1 yr
What size were they? And what happened after a year?

Anyone have a trio of yellow tangs and have positive or negative experiences to share?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the tank. I ended up shutting everything down actually and just focused on life. Lol.
D

Attachments

• received_1522585081173229.jpeg
    received_1522585081173229.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 17
  • received_1522588394506231.jpeg
    received_1522588394506231.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 14

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back