Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I currently use a 75W cheap heater for my biocube 16. I just bought a Eheim Jager 50w not realizing my current is a 75W. My wife is giving me a temp controller for Christmas. I trust Eheim implicitly. But is it big enough?

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how cold the room is. Sometimes it’s preferable to have two smaller capacity heaters so if one fails stuck on it can’t cook the tank, and if one fails stuck off the tank won’t plummet to lethal levels.

I live in FL so I only have a 100 watt heater on my 75 gallon just to add a little stability.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This seems a little on the generous side as far as requirements but it's a good ball park.

If your like me and keep your heat in the mid 60s in the winter probably not enough

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 50w is rated up to 60 litres so I feel you're good to go (at max rated tank size) as long as the room temp is not more than 10 degrees cooler.
As Dan mentioned, it's better to have 2 smaller heaters rather than rely on 1 big unit.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 50w is rated up to 60 litres so I feel you're good to go (at max rated tank size) as long as the room temp is not more than 10 degrees cooler.
As Dan mentioned, it's better to have 2 smaller heaters rather than rely on 1 big unit.
Yeah I think I’m going to run it and a smaller (footprint) 75W heater I already have in there just to be safe.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how cold the room is. Sometimes it’s preferable to have two smaller capacity heaters so if one fails stuck on it can’t cook the tank, and if one fails stuck off the tank won’t plummet to lethal levels.

I live in FL so I only have a 100 watt heater on my 75 gallon just to add a little stability.
So I keep my house around 68-70 degrees year round. Is a 50W not enough for this tank? Should I continue to use two heaters or just take this one back?

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I keep my house around 68-70 degrees year round. Is a 50W not enough for this tank? Should I continue to use two heaters or just take this one back?

68-70 room temp it should be okay. The tightly sealed lid and close to the water lights from the BioCube also contribute to keeping the tank warm.
I get the running 2 heaters point other posters are making but seems overkill for a 16 gallon. Space is normally at a premium in the small built in sump as well.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
68-70 room temp it should be okay. The tightly sealed lid and close to the water lights from the BioCube also contribute to keeping the tank warm.
I get the running 2 heaters point other posters are making but seems overkill for a 16 gallon. Space is normally at a premium in the small built in sump as well.
I’m gonna order a 75W off Amazon

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 81.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back