54 gal corner stocking list

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got my sump issue figured out and I'm ready to start figuring out stocking options. I've attached a picture of the rockwork so you have an idea of what I'm working with.

Right now I am thinking about the following:

-2 Orange Storm Clownfish (mated pair)
-1 Pygmy Cherub Angel
-1 Midas Blenny
-1 Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse

What do you guys think? Any room to add an additional bottom dweller?

20220518_060427.jpg

OP
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any watch outs for the Pygmy Cherub Angel or Lubbock's? I haven't kept either of them before

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good list.

Which bottom dweller? There's probably room, I agree. My favorite is the pink spot watchman goby.

OP
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good list.

Which bottom dweller? There's probably room, I agree. My favorite is the pink spot watchman goby.
Thanks! Im actually not sure. I always liked the watchmans and actually had a pink spot years ago before I moved. He was MASSIVE. I know that they say they max out at 4", but this one was 5" easy. I may go that route, but I won't do a yellow as I had one of those kill a Midas blenny before I could intervene. It thought it was another yellow watchman.

I've always really liked Jawfish, but never wanted to have a tank with the deep sandbed that they require for burrowing. Going to skip another blenny so i don't have any issues with the Midas.

Not sure what other options there would be

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved - any input on the Lubbock's? Key things to watch out for?
He unfortunately isn't around here anymore. You can email him at the wrasse guy at Gmail with no spaces.

Lubbock is about the smallest fairy. Very peaceful. I would add it earlier than later.

OP
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a quick update- everything has been running very smoothly and about 2 weeks ago I added a Midas blenny as my first addition. He seemed a bit shy at the store, but looked very plump and ate voraciously when food was put in the tank, so I decided to bring him home figuring it was just due to being in a big empty tank with no rockwork to act as a security blanket.

All-in- all, he's doing great, but seems to have decided to use a powerhead at the very back of my tank as his "bolt hole". Every other one I have had loved to be out in the water column swimming in the current, but this one rarely comes out other than to get food. He has definitely made progress since I added him, but still isn't nearly as active as I had hoped.

20220608_113424.jpg

Any ideas of how to get him to be more visible? They were my absolute favorite type of marine fish because of how they swim and their beautiful golden yellow hue. Could it be that he just hasn't had any "friends" yet to encourage him to come out?

I guess I will find out shortly as yesterday I just added my 2nd occupant- a pink spot watchman goby. Shoutout to @nereefpat for reminding me how cool these guys are.
20220608_113131.jpg

I know he looks grumpy, but I promise he's quite happy as well! He's been cruising through all the tunnels in my rockwork and like to just poke out in a random places throughout the day. Not shy at all and is eating like a pig.

I know that I'll probably get some flack for this, but I got him from Petco *gasp*. Unfortunately, I really don't have many quality options in my area that aren't >1 hour away or that charge insane mark-ups. I figured out long ago that if you can establish a relationship with the employee who orders their fish, they will actually give you a call as soon as they come in and they will hold them in their shipping bag for a short time (30 min or so). I would never buy fish from their tanks for obvious reasons, but I've found this to be an economical and safer way to get fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back