55 Gallon Drum Water Mixing Station

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, yes, what would you like to know? I'll be glad to share anything. Sorry for the delayed response, was camping with family! I did end up with a smaller footprint and really was trying to limit space so it is pretty tight. Here's a couple more pictures.
20180518_174356.jpg
20180518_174356.jpg
20180518_174340.jpg

Just saw you replied- thanks for the additional pictures.

Specifically, I’m wondering if you have the shelf attached to the legs with screws, or if they are sitting on top of a second 2x4 upright I can’t quite see in the pic.

In the first method, all the weight is taken on the fasteners. In the second, the weight is transferred to the ground via the 2x4 .

And it looks like you have your pump just suspended off the pvc? That’s neat- never thought of doing that.

Last edited:

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw you replied- thanks for the additional pictures.

Specifically, I’m wondering if you have the shelf attached to the legs with screws, or if they are sitting on top of a second 2x4 upright I can’t quite see in the pic.

In the first method, all the weight is taken on the fasteners. In the second, the weight is transferred to the ground via the 2x4 .

And it looks like you have your pump just suspended off the pvc? That’s neat- never thought of doing that.

I basically built two 2x4 boxes and then used 3/8 bolts at each corner bolting them to the 2x4s. I debated on which way to go as I was really trying to keep it small. I used enough bolts to feel it's totally safe. I also have a 3/4" plywood piece on the back and sides which provides the lateral stability and a place to mount the RODI unit.

I do have the pump just suspended by the PVC, but honestly I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure it's putting undue stress on the PVC. I just didn't know what pump I was going to end up using. Right now what's there is a bit too slow pumping the 50' to my tank, but still better than hauling water. I do have a RODI drain but that's to fill 5 gallon jugs for ATO and when mixing 2 part and such.

eb_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a picture of my very first mixing station where I used Brutes. You'll need some uniseals and a piece of clear PVC tubing (I used rigid tubing). Once installed, near the bottom running to the top, start filling the barrels and the water becomes visible in the clear tube. I did it 5 gallons at a time and then marked the clear tube. Put the next five gallons in and marked it again. So every black line you see on the clear tube is 5 gallons. It worked out great.

20140506_234507_resized250x640_zpsb522f809.jpg

Did you have any trouble with algae growth with the clear tube? How long did your water sit in the tank before you had to refill?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have any trouble with algae growth with the clear tube? How long did your water sit in the tank before you had to refill?

Never an algae issue. I pretty much kept the tanks (both fresh and salt) full most of the time.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back