55 gallon reef aquarium build

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I’ve got a brand new 55 gallon empty tank and I’m starting from scratch. every week you get and update on the build please feel free to ask any questions give your thoughts and by all means tell me what I’m doing wrong lol. So to start us off all I have as of now is a 55 glass aquarium it is tempered glass so it’s not drilled, which brings us to the next thing a hang on back overflow which will lead down to the 10 gallon working progress sump. And last but not least I have 35 pounds of live sand and 30 pounds of live rock “will be buying 20 more pounds of in the future!!! And that’s all I have as weeks go buy and more money is flowing in “yes I’m working to pay for this I don’t have money lying around lol” I will be buying lights, protein skimmer, live rock, power heads, return pumps, sump supplies, heaters, plumbing, testing kits, and last but not least coral!!! I do have a question however about what can I buy to plug all my equipment into to protect it from surges and help with all the power I’m using and if we do lose power it has a battery life. Rather be safe than sorry lol I’ll post pictures in the morning when it’s light out!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short of a generator or commercial grade battery system there's not much you can do. Your best bet is a battery backup for a single powerhead to keep flow going. Lights, heating and filtration all come secondary.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short of a generator or commercial grade battery system there's not much you can do. Your best bet is a battery backup for a single powerhead to keep flow going. Lights, heating and filtration all come secondary.
Actually I’m not as worried about power going out as a am that I have a lot of stuff to plug in on one outlet and I thought there were power strips/supplies that made it safe to plug all your equipment into one outlet like I think it’s a Neptune or something like that idk?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I’m not as worried about power going out as a am that I have a lot of stuff to plug in on one outlet and I thought there were power strips/supplies that made it safe to plug all your equipment into one outlet like I think it’s a Neptune or something like that idk?
You asked about both surge protection and battery life. Most power bars will have surge protection on them, but you want something like APC. Neptune power bars require the Apex controller to work - so you need the "brain" if you want to run those.

Most battery backup systems will quickly get drained just from the heaters alone, so if you're going to run one you should have it solely for your powerhead(s).

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked about both surge protection and battery life. Most power bars will have surge protection on them, but you want something like APC. Neptune power bars require the Apex controller to work - so you need the "brain" if you want to run those.

Most battery backup systems will quickly get drained just from the heaters alone, so if you're going to run one you should have it solely for your powerhead(s).
Explain to me the Neptune system?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in seeing how you do the sump. My 55g is undrilled also, I would like to add a sump for a refugium if nothing else. I have 2 canister filters on this tank so I am good for filtration.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C2A85F26-78EF-4CD8-8648-338E4B59AD55.jpeg
C37E3211-CFCB-4224-98DF-04457E553865.jpeg
4A1DA733-F9E6-4636-9A23-C02013DB1C52.jpeg

This is what I have as of this moment

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... I just ordered one for myself..

Been wanting to set up a refugium for this tank for a while.. Probably going to go 1/2 refugium and 1/2 skimmer chamber. Unless I do something custom DIY, I really don't have many options for a larger sump than a standard 10g.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I bought a return pump from Amazon for the ten gallon sump and also the full plumbing supplies order from Lowe’s it will all get here next week so I’ll do you guys how I set that up. Then I bought fresh rodi water from oceans floor and filled up my tank then mixed it with the red reef coral salt then I added the bag of live sand and two more chunks of live rock, so all that we have to do now is set up the sump by more live rock add a couple power heads and lights and start cycling

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... I just ordered one for myself..

Been wanting to set up a refugium for this tank for a while.. Probably going to go 1/2 refugium and 1/2 skimmer chamber. Unless I do something custom DIY, I really don't have many options for a larger sump than a standard 10g.
That’s great glad your getting ideas!! I’m glad to share them make sure to watch how I plump it it’s very tricky with this type because they tend to be very loud and also they like to leak I’ll demonstrate how to do this!!!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I bought a return pump from Amazon for the ten gallon sump and also the full plumbing supplies order from Lowe’s it will all get here next week so I’ll do you guys how I set that up. Then I bought fresh rodi water from oceans floor and filled up my tank then mixed it with the red reef coral salt then I added the bag of live sand and two more chunks of live rock, so all that we have to do now is set up the sump by more live rock add a couple power heads and lights and start cycling

Did you rinse the sand before you added it? I can warn you from experience that unrinsed sand will cause issues in your tank soon.

Microscopic particulates in unrinsed sand can cause major issues down the line.. sooner rather than later most likely. Diatoms and other unwanted stuff love the dissolved silicates that you get when you do not rinse the sand.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rinse the sand before you added it? I can warn you from experience that unrinsed sand will cause issues in your tank soon.

Microscopic particulates in unrinsed sand can cause major issues down the line.. sooner rather than later most likely. Diatoms and other unwanted stuff love the dissolved silicates that you get when you do not rinse the sand.
Thank you for that but I always rinse my sand, live rock, tank, and anything else that might get in the water!!! Better safe than sorry lol

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C2A85F26-78EF-4CD8-8648-338E4B59AD55.jpeg
C37E3211-CFCB-4224-98DF-04457E553865.jpeg
4A1DA733-F9E6-4636-9A23-C02013DB1C52.jpeg

This is what I have as of this moment

I bought the same unit after reading this. Got a 10g tank and a baffle kit for a refugium. Then I decided I would replace the hated HoB skimmer I have.

Unfortunately, the skimmer, which has the smallest footprint I could find for one that would both, support my tank, and fit in a 10g, is still too large to work and still have a decent space for a refugium.

I am now going to buy a 2nd one of these units and run a dual system.. 1 will run a sump to house the skimmer, ATO and backup heater, and one to run a refugium. Did some research on this and the only add I will need is a "water bridge". Basically it will join the 2 10g tanks to balance the water level as if it was one single large sump.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my friends I’m sorry it’s been a while I just bought a new ceramic heater for the tank and all the plumbing now I’m ready to get this tank cycled in the next two days I’m going to plumb and cycle my tank then transfer my 20 gallon reef over to the new 55 so everyone cross your fingers and pray to god it goes right. For the plumbing I’m using one inch pvc

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the same unit after reading this. Got a 10g tank and a baffle kit for a refugium. Then I decided I would replace the hated HoB skimmer I have.

Unfortunately, the skimmer, which has the smallest footprint I could find for one that would both, support my tank, and fit in a 10g, is still too large to work and still have a decent space for a refugium.

I am now going to buy a 2nd one of these units and run a dual system.. 1 will run a sump to house the skimmer, ATO and backup heater, and one to run a refugium. Did some research on this and the only add I will need is a "water bridge". Basically it will join the 2 10g tanks to balance the water level as if it was one single large sump.
I will say a huge refugium is not necessary for for this sized tank but that is a good idea I would strongly recommend buying the return pump shown up above!! For the lights I’m using two kessil a160we that are in the mail as we speak. I have not found a skimmer yet or if I’m going to use filter socks so that’s still up in the air but I’m glad I’m helping you here

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back