55g build thread. 10g soon to come.

Clapping crabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first saltwater tank. I've been blessed with no crashes, stable parameters, and nice corals from a good friend and fellow reefer. The only issue I have had is with cyanobacteria. It's been in the refugium since I started the tank again after a full system crash which it was neglected for 3 weeks from the person I bought it from. Then started to show up in the display tank after my conches died (still unknown cause of death). I changed flow, tried feeding less, got a phosphate reactor from the same friend I got the corals from. Nothing has seemed to help.

I then got my little goby Anastasia. She has done a wonderful job at keeping the sand sifted and clear on the surface. she can only do so much though as she is still young.

As for the corals I have a finger leather Coral (who is currently shedding) another leather Coral, two candy canes, a hammerhead Coral, Plus some kind of star polyp and many, many, many zoa's.

IMG_20181026_135037.jpeg

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with a new to me (used) system. I ended up changing the light and it wenr away. It would bloom up now and again, but just lightly over sections of the sand.
That is some Awsome coraline you've grown in there! Really Nice

OP
OP
Clapping crabs

Clapping crabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with a new to me (used) system. I ended up changing the light and it wenr away. It would bloom up now and again, but just lightly over sections of the sand.
That is some Awsome coraline you've grown in there! Really Nice
I've been extremely lucky with this tank in that since. When I purchased it she was a barren tank. Nothing survived but the clowns.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#mods I am not sure why I see this in classifieds- I believe it is probably in the wrong forum :)

OP
OP
Clapping crabs

Clapping crabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning I found my missing frag. I had fragged 4 pieces of my finger leather coral earlier this month. 3 of the frags stayed but one little turd decided he wanted to venture the tank and dissappeared till this morning. I was so excited it showed back up and still surpringly healthy. So found me a nice concave rock and stuck him to it. This was my first attempt at fragging so I think I out of 4 isn't bad.

IMG_20181008_065345.jpeg

IMG_20181031_072745.jpeg

OP
OP
Clapping crabs

Clapping crabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Now just wait for them to grow. Just curious what is the average cost of a small leather frag?

Reefandthecurious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. I only see clown are the clown and goby your only livestock. If so do you plan to add more later? Great build following along!

Reefandthecurious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good how long have u had the frag for? I know the feeling. Waking up and looking at the frags to see how much they’ve grown while u were sleeping.

OP
OP
Clapping crabs

Clapping crabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good how long have u had the frag for? I know the feeling. Waking up and looking at the frags to see how much they’ve grown while u were sleeping.
I've had the tank for almost 5 months. So the frag the same amount of time. Was less then the size of a dime fully clos d back then.

Reefandthecurious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing nicely! Takes so long to grow when I look online at colony I keep wondering when my frag will turn into one lol

OP
OP
Clapping crabs

Clapping crabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked online also and seen frags the size mine started at selling for $50-$65! Then I've read that most people see it as a nuisance coral with how fast it grows and covers rocks. I love the color of it.

OP
OP
Clapping crabs

Clapping crabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So gonna give chemiclean a shot for the first time. I've been fighting cyanobacteria for the last 4 months. I've tried everything I've researched and could find before going this route. So I'm gonna hope this finally kicks it in the butt.

Back