55g corner bow front LPS tank

Lilnoelle80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 54g corner bow front tank that I’d like to convert to an LPS tank. It’s plumbed, currently with a canister filter but I have a ten gallon tank I plan to make a sump.
What kind of return pump do you recommend for this setup? I looked at bulk reef supply and the pumps either have more flow than I need or not enough power to reach from the ground up to the top of the overflow (~5 ft).
I’d also appreciate recommendations for lighting. I currently (not pictured) have a current USA light for a planted tank. I doubt that is going to cut it. Dimensions of the tank is 39in wide x 27.25 in tall x 23 in deep.

BD11B732-537B-4787-9B8E-52CCBA61DB8F.png

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice tank! I don't have a specific pump to recommend, but one possibility is to look at adjustable DC pumps. In general, I have found the Sicce return pumps to be well built. Good luck with your adventure!

OP
OP
Lilnoelle80

Lilnoelle80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get the sump set up, apex installed, etc. I will add pictures later today including adding specifics about equipment used. I’m having a bit of an algae outbreak and thought I’d add a refugium, but my 10g sump does not have room for this.
I thought about adding a HOB refugium but was also thinking about switching to a different sump to give more room.
I’m looking for recommendations on HOB refugiums or sumps that has room for refugiums.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you looking for a refugium as a place to grow macro algae and improve the water quality or are you looking for a refugium as a place for pods to live? If it's the first then you may want to consider an algae scrubber for such a small space. Personally I haven't had good luck with HOB refugiums. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 54g corner bow front tank that I’d like to convert to an LPS tank. It’s plumbed, currently with a canister filter but I have a ten gallon tank I plan to make a sump.
What kind of return pump do you recommend for this setup? I looked at bulk reef supply and the pumps either have more flow than I need or not enough power to reach from the ground up to the top of the overflow (~5 ft).
I’d also appreciate recommendations for lighting. I currently (not pictured) have a current USA light for a planted tank. I doubt that is going to cut it. Dimensions of the tank is 39in wide x 27.25 in tall x 23 in deep.

BD11B732-537B-4787-9B8E-52CCBA61DB8F.png
I’d love to see how it’s plumbed I just got a tank like this but it’s not drilled or plumbed and I’m going to have to do it but it seems challenging. Once you figure stuff out I’d love to see some
Pictures of your set up! Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back