55GL Craigslist Rescue Build

GHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impulse buy. I think this qualifies. We already have two fresh water tanks in our living room, and no real space for the 55GL saltwater disaster that popped up on Craigslist. But those Clowns...they got us. We tried to ignore the post but the tiny photo of those cute little guys wouldn't let go of our hearts, and after much discussion and planning we made the call and spent a day bringing them into our home.
IMG_0743.JPG

The plan:
We don't want 3 tanks, so the idea is to take the best parts of this one and build a 30-40GL cube that will replace our 20GL freshwater tank. Then sell the 20 and 55. Our budget is small, so we'll be patient and wait for a cube to pop up on Craiglist, while we learn and try to rescue this tank as much as we can.
Step 1: stabilize, test, and identify what we have.
Step 2: prioritize problems and fix
Step 3: wait for tank to heal and stock for eventual 40GL
Step 4: move everything over to the 40

The good, the bad and the ugly:
The ugly speaks for itself, so let's start with the good. The owner was local (10 miles away), we wouldn't have considered it otherwise. For $500, we got a 350A Kessil, Octopus Skimmer, BRS Reactor, heater, 3 power heads, original top light, tons of live rock (10+ years old), 2 clowns, 7 anemones, and some corals. No waiting to get cycled, multiple corals, and the clowns are happily hosting. The bad is obviously an algae problem, and potentially other issues we don't know about yet. It will also divide our attention from the other tanks, and put on hold my dream for Discus.

History:
The owner had the tank for years, but during the fires he lost power for 5 days and lost almost everything. He was so discouraged, he soured on the hobby, and didn't even try to fix the algae problem. Here's a shot he gave me of the tank in its glory days.
IMG_0746.JPG

Next up I'll post some shots of things we need help Identifying, and what we've done in a week. Here we go!

OP
OP
GHH

GHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 2 weeks, and things seem mildly stable, other than I think we have every kind of algae known to man growing. I could use some help identifying what we have...

Onyx Percula Clowns? Rose and Green Bubble Tip Anemone?

Red Flame Mushroom?
IMG_0782.JPG

Zoanthids?
IMG_0783.jpg

Toadstool Mushroom Leather
IMG_0784.jpg

Asterina? How concerned should I be? ;Nailbiting
IMG_0786.jpg

Amongst the hair algae is this leafy, vine-like plant. Is it algae as well?
IMG_0785.JPG

OP
OP
GHH

GHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae & slime are an obvious problem. It looks like we've got Cyanobacteria, Diatoms, Green hair algae, and maybe other types. Here's the plan so far (please advise):
• Get water parameters in check
• Buy things that eat it. A Yellow Tang would be our first choice, but way too expensive right now, so we'll start with a Lawnmower Blenny, snails & shrimp, and a Tuxedo Urchin.
• Inserted a Phosphate Reducer Media Pad until I can get the Reactor set up
• Weekly 10% water changes
• Ordered ChemiClean and Vibrant
• Might do a blackout for a few days

OP
OP
GHH

GHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 5 update. We're passing on the Lawnmower for now (we're not too hip on buying anything that's not captive bred), but we did get a Tuxedo and pincushion urchin, a Xenia, a cleaner shrimp and 2 Peppermint shrimp for fun. Our next purchase will probably be a Yellow Tang once we can afford it (and find a captive-bred one). I tried using Vibrant for a few weeks, but the hair algae was just growing longer and longer, so I removed each piece of live rock and sprayed with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for 15 min, rinsed with salt water, and put them back. I was mindful of the Zoa's (gloves and eye protection), and they and the toadstools seem to be recovering.

I've also stoped doing weekly water changes until I see some Nitrates (Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are all 0). As it is I'm adding 2gl a week as top-off, but with all the die-off from the H2O2 I'm assuming there'll be a spike. I did set up the reactor, so it's running GFO and carbon. I'll wait a week or two, and consider using the ChemiClean if the Cyano doesn't clear up, and dose a capful of H202 daily.

It's all still a mess, but the good news is that all the animals seem happy. I think the Nem's may have spawned a new one, as we have 8 now. I noticed some small bristle worms while dosing the H202, but nothing concerning.

Attachments

• IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0846.mov
    31.8 MB

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to you for rescuing the tank! Was the algae a lot worse on the right side of the tank when you got it? Just wondering if the light fixture on that side is part of the problem.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome rescue! Your “Toadstool” may actually be Cabbage Leather.
I may be wrong but the macro algae may be a caulpera of some sort.
I’ve never been concerned with asternia and never had any problems. The opinions vary on these

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya uve got some cabbage coral. Thats really kool.
Your in the wrong hobby if your concern is buying only tank raised. Yes its becoming more popular as it should but i can guarantee that 70% is still imported.
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya uve got some cabbage coral. Thats really kool.
Your in the wrong hobby if your concern is buying only tank raised. Yes its becoming more popular as it should but i can guarantee that 70% is still imported.
D
eh i mean its easy enough to have a 100% tank raised. obv will be limited but still super cool and I respect it a ton

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's plenty of coral and fish to choose from that all tank/captive raised. Softies to sps for coral. You can get frags locally, hey that's all tank raised.

You can get lots of captive bred fish on live aquaria

OP
OP
GHH

GHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to you for rescuing the tank! Was the algae a lot worse on the right side of the tank when you got it? Just wondering if the light fixture on that side is part of the problem.
That could very well be! The Kessil side seems to be growing less hair algae...

Mike weymers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to reef cleaners and get yourself a solid clean up crew. They are super affordable and free shipping at 65 dollars. The crew should make short work of your algae problem.

Mike weymers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only small number of asterina are dangerous. But if you are worried get harlequin shrimp. It will destroy any and all starfish is tank.

OP
OP
GHH

GHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's plenty of coral and fish to choose from that all tank/captive raised. Softies to sps for coral. You can get frags locally, hey that's all tank raised.

You can get lots of captive bred fish on live aquaria
Thanks - that's what we're hoping! Here are the sites I found for captive raised creatures:

Last edited:
OP
OP
GHH

GHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thanks to a prompt from the admin, I thought I'd give an update to this build. It's been 2.5 years, I've learned a lot, but also have much to learn. Last year sold our other tanks and wen all-in on a Waterbox Marine X 60.2 with:
Prime 16HD light
2 Neros (a 3 and a 5)
Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 pump
Roller filter
Tunze top off
2 Eheim heaters with an Ink Bird controller

I purposely left out a skimmer (and purchased oversized pumps) to try and create the quietest tank possible - which worked great (in terms of noise). However, my nutrients have always been on the high side (30-40 Nitrate, .2 Phosphate), which has contributed to an ongoing algae issue and an inability to grow SPS. I also left out buying a RODI system, and get my water from a local drinking water store down the road. I'm sure this also contributes to the above as well.

Last year we added a Char Chamber, which keeps my levels lower while reducing water changes from weekly to every 6 months or so.

A big shout out to BRS and the 52 weeks series, along with all the other resources they provide - I learned a ton from them, and continue to this day!

The clowns are doing very well and spawn regularly (we recently were successful in capturing some fry and culturing Rotifers, but haven't made it past 4 days yet). The nem has split many times over the years, which I sell to our LFS (since the Char Chamber it stopped splitting - a good sign).

I've tried everything under the sun for the algae, both naturally and chemically, but it's a loosing battle with the water/filtration I'm using (I think), so I live with manual removal. I recently purchased a tiny Yellow Tang which I will re-home once it's too big. I'd like to try a Chaeto refugium again (I couldn't get it to grow).

I'm a big fan of the redundant features of the pump and the heaters, the easy of use of the AI products, and the ATO system (I dose All For Reef using it) - I've had a few alarms, but never anything catastrophic, and it runs like a top with easy maintenance. We did go through years of fires in our area (forced to flee once!), which meant lots of brown out's, so I purchased a generator and battery backup which I've used a couple times to keep the tank going.

Aside from the algae and not being able to grow SPS, the tank has been vey stable and a huge source of joy of us - I won't list all the animals we've had over the years (most are from the original tank), but we love them all and continue to think of them as family members. If I were to upgrade anything, I think I'd get a Radion Gen5 XR30 pro and a RODI system.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back