OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to draw a diagram of how all the equipment is setup on the tank. Maybe it will help to have a visual. I don't explain things too well.

Here is an explanation of the letters for each piece of equipment
A. Fluval HO T5 4 bulb. 2 10000K 54W daylights, 1 54W Actinic, 1 54W ATI Coral Plus
B. Out flow for the Fluval 304. Website said it does 260 gph. Has two carbon socks and GFO designed for canister filters. Nothing else in there.
C. Intake for Fluval 304
D. Air stone
E. Small power head, just over 300gph
F. Heater
G. Seaclone 150 protein skimmer
H. Intake for Fluval 305 cannister filter. 260 gph. Has just 2 socks of carbon. Nothing else in there.
I. Out flow for Fluval 305
J. Big power head, over 1300gph
K. Thermometer probes.

Let me know what you would do differently. Also here is an actual pic of tank taken from roughly the same vantage point.

J062682l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the water break at the top. Do I have movement or is the too still?? I would add a powerhead to the top left so you can have an extra current. The one kn the bottom. IMO is ok . As for the seaclone. How's it working,,,, I have one I modded it and it pulls skimmate like the best

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seaclone works ok I guess, it pulls like 1 mm of skimmate in a day. As for the top water braking, that's why I have an airstone so that film doesn't happen the surface. But that's the only why it brakes. What does it mean when the say skimming wet or dry? The skimmate is a runny dark green color, the consistency of tea. I assume that's wet skimming?

How big of a power head should I get? I feel really stupid that i didn't think to put one at the top left.

As for if I have movement I'm not sure i know what u mean. That Duncan's tentacles do sway. He's on the left about three inches from the bottom and the GSP's on the far left sway too if that's what mean.

Thanks a lot btw. I really appreciate your help.

J062682l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem buddy just returning the help I got ,,, have you modified the seaclone at all. I did a bunch of mods and my seaclone is a beast , google seaclone 150 modifications. And look up impeller mods. I weaves fishing line around the Impellar to cut up the bubbles. And wow what a difference

J062682l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put a power head on the left have it make waves on the top of the tank. My 1425 makes waves accross the front my 2 725 one goes front and diwn the ither goes straight top in back.And u one more pushing out the Back. Of my rock wall IMO You can get rid of the air pump save a big of electricity

J062682l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my 55. It's still a work in progress
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1391152652.656355.jpg

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your tank, its very nice!

I will look up the protein skimmer mods and impliment them (as long as its not too hard, I suck at that DIY stuff) my next weekend.

As for the flow, I had a double powerhead in my Unused Aquarium Equipment Bin (I'm sure we all have something like it) So I put that up. I think total it does over 3000 gph. So I put it where the bigger one was on the right only higher, about four inches from the top. One side is facing down and back and the other side is face down and front. I moved the 1300 gph PH to the left side high up pointing to the surface to get that moving. The 300gph PH in the middle I moved up about four inches. Other than one of my yellowtail damsels attacking my hand, nothing seems upset with increased flow. Thanks for the suggestions.

If the airstone is not doing any harm I think I will keep it. I like the look of it for some reason.

J062682l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good bro good luck, hope those minor changes help. With flow. And I usually brush my rocks weekly and I blow them off

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing the 2gl WC daily and took my water to get tested and these are the results.
Nitrates 2ppm
Phosphates 0
Calcium 480
Alk 8.5
Mg 1360

The nitrates are down 3ppm from the last time I got the water tested. The algae isn't as bad I don't think but it still there. In the pic below I think the red slime isn't as dense as it was. The diatoms don't look as bad. I did scrub the rocks last Wednesday. My only concern with the parameters is that my pH is 7.8. It was always 7.8 before but it has been 8.2 for a few weeks. I am not sure what is going on with that. Everything in the tank appears to be healthy except the sea hare but that might be due to old age. I am wondering if the vodka has something to do with that so I am not dosing vodka this week. Just do the WC. The pH is something that I have heard is ok as long as there are no spikes in one direction or the other. I want my Alk to be 10 so I am going to dose baking soda again. I did scrub the rocks today. After scrubbing the glass last Wednesday I didn't have to scrub again until Monday. That's pretty cool.

here are the pics

jimmyjohn1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would put a bigger power head in the tank in my 55 right now I have an MP40 and a Hydor Koralia Evo 1500. I would invest in to Koralia Evo 1500s and pull that airstone out along with the other powerheads, and with the canister filters you should have plenty of flow for that tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back