562 Gallon shark tank

Krj-2501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - the Japanese Leopard/Banded Houndshark is one of best hound sharks and active swimming sharks to keep in my opinion. As they are smaller and much more sub-tropical (in water temps) than the California cousins.

Still the 560-gallon aquarium will make for a nice grow out tank for the Brown banded Bamboos and the Japanese Leopard, for the next 24-30 months. Then you will need to have a large saltwater pond - at least 2,500-3,000 gallons (12 feet diameter). Keep in mind Brown-banded Bamboos average about 42 inches (106 cm) long - and can max out at 52-54" (132-137 cm). While Japanese Leopard/Banded Houndshark - average about 48" (122 cm) and max out at about 60" (152 cm).

Last edited:
OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Japanese leopard takes 6 to 8 years to reach full adult size. He's my biggest concern. I actually build ponds. I've built around 30.

I have a 1200 gallon pond in the back yard and a 15000 gallon one half way done as well. 15k

For the sharks I'll likely upgrade to a bigger tank. But if too expensive I'll build an indoor pond. I've got a 700sq ft room in my house I don't use that I think will be perfect. I just prefer tank due to the hound shark. They will jump out of a pond quickly

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion.......1 coral cat shark/275 gallons minimum......1 brown banded Bamboo shark male/350 gallons minimum.......Female 400 gallons minimum.... male Japanese Leopard shark 800 gallons minimum.....Female 1000 gallons minimum. Opinions vary greatly on such things. To me the bamboo sharks corl cat sharks and even Japanese leopard shark spend a lot of time just laying on the bottom. Also the size thing.....yes some brown banded bamboo sharks get around 44 inches...But some also max out at 29 inches. It's a shark by shark scenario

If you really want a beautiful two foot shark on a budget I'd go coral cat shark. Amazing colors...cool looking shark mouth. And 300 gallons can support one.

Most others just get WAYYYY to big and expensive.

I got my aquarium used and I've still spent around 12k on my set up so far

Krj-2501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion.......1 coral cat shark/275 gallons minimum......1 brown banded Bamboo shark male/350 gallons minimum.......Female 400 gallons minimum.... male Japanese Leopard shark 800 gallons minimum.....Female 1000 gallons minimum. Opinions vary greatly on such things. To me the bamboo sharks corl cat sharks and even Japanese leopard shark spend a lot of time just laying on the bottom. Also the size thing.....yes some brown banded bamboo sharks get around 44 inches...But some also max out at 29 inches. It's a shark by shark scenario

Okay - in my opinion - for a single average adult coral catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus) - bare minimum - 180 gallons (75-80% open space/20-25% rock work) with no other fishes. But as a they actually do when best kept in small (2-3 sharks) groups - a 300 gallon tank or pond would be best as a minimum.

A single average adult (40-42 inches) Brown banded Bamboo -bare minimum - 600 gallons. For a single max size (50-54 inches) adult Brown Banded Bamboo - 1,500 gallons.

A single average adult (30-32 inches) size White-spotted Bamboo - bare minimum - 360-400 gallons.

A single average adult (48 inches) Japanese Leopard/Banded Houndshark - bare minimum - 2,500 gallons. Keep in mind these are active swimming sharks.

For the sharks I'll likely upgrade to a bigger tank. But if too expensive I'll build an indoor pond. I've got a 700sq ft room in my house I don't use that I think will be perfect. I just prefer tank due to the hound shark. They will jump out of a pond quickly

Well - 700 sq. ft. is more than enough room to build a nice DIY 3000–6000-gallon indoor tank or pond. Which should big enough for the Japanese Leopard and the Brown Banded Bamboos. Actually the tank or pond should only need about 250 sq.ft. of floor space. Maybe add another 50-100 sq. ft for filtration system. Then the remaining 350 sq. ft. could make for a nice room to view the shark tank/pond.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%

Back