57.7 What is it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't strain yourself looking for a reefing answer. lol

Its the temperature (in degrees F) that my kitchen in Amherst MA dropped to this ultra cold morning, despite the thermostat in the same room set for 69 degrees F.

The heating system just cannot keep up when the temp is about -9 degrees F and the wind is nasty.

Keep warm!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its the temperature (in degrees F) that my kitchen in Amherst MA dropped to this ultra cold morning, despite the thermostat in the same room set for 69 degrees F.

The heating system just cannot keep up when the temp is about -9 degrees F and the wind is nasty.

Keep warm!

Hopefully it's not natural gas heated. My gas bill for my office tripled.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years ago it dropped to 0 here in Houston and my natural gas kept the lower level of my house at 75 and 82 upstairs.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find better options for gas boilers like the IBC hang on wall combination of heating and domestic hot water very efficient on demand domestic water heating so no tank of standing hot water or a boiler that has an internal coil that maintains temperature between 140 degrees and 180 degrees!

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was -20F outside (-41F with windchill factor) here this morning. It’s been like that for 3 days now and one more day of it.

Stay warm !
That's what happens in the Great White North!
My wife and her family lived in Resolute Bay for a short time when she was very young, doesn't have many warm memories from it...lol
Stay warm Randy! We're going through a cold run here too in Michigan (0 to -15 wind chill) but true to form for us we're supposed to be in the 40's next week.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that more energy efficient than gas burners?

No gas available on site, except propane. All are expensive. We added solar panels on the barn roof, but that doesn’t help heat.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No gas available on site, except propane. All are expensive. We added solar panels on the barn roof, but that doesn’t help heat.
A friend recently remolded a home on 40 acres out in the country. Like you, no gas available, only propane. He installed solar panels on the roof, Telsa Power Walls for backup, and a forced air electric heat pump. The heat pump does all the heating and cooling for the whole house. The local power utility banks all his excess power that he feeds into the grid and he can draw it down when his panels are not producing.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Keep warm!
I guess this means ice skating on and ice fishing in the pond is on this weekend.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this means ice skating on and ice fishing in the pond is on this weekend.

The ice was looking very smooth yesterday since we’ve had little snow, but it’s supposed to go into the 40’s tomorrow so it may not hold up.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was -30F without the windchill(news said something like -50 with the windchill)l when I got up for work this morning.

Had to come home and deal with frozen pipes despite leaving the water running!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We went through this week leading up to Christmas. -20 60mph winds feel like was -60. I put r30 insulation over the windows. Felt like a cave but it really helped keeping the house warm

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a kid, we used to crank the electric oven on and leave it's door open with a fan pointed at it to break the chill in the house.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Connecticut, you got it worse than us.

20230204_075911.jpg

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Keep warm!
sounds like insulation may be an issue

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back