6’ to 8’

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some pros and cons of going with a 6’ vs 8’ tank. I know 2’ more swimming space is always a great thing. I know this would also require more lighting, additional flow etc. curious to hear from others on what I may be missing here

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we using same other dimensions? If so, besides lighting, flow and aquascaping, I personally can’t really think of any cons.

If the other dimensions are changing (changing height and depth for width, that could be a huge factor as generally I like more depth and length but could take away height without issue

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went from a 6' to a 10'. You hit the 2 major points - lighting and flow. I had to add 2 more lights to my setup, no big deal. My flow however - I had to add many more power heads. My 6' I just had a mp40 on each side along with my returns and a gyre. For the 10' I had to buy 6 additional power heads to get the flow that I wanted. That being said, go with the bigger tank, its totally worth it and you will not regret it.

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a 6’. It’s got some age on it so I would like to replace it. It’s a standard 180 6x2x2. My options here would be 96x30x25 or 72x30x25 if I go with standard dimensions. I’ve toyed with the idea of 36” depth but I believe I’d have to go custom (not sure I want to go the custom route) and I like keeping the height around 25 inches for ease of maintenance.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a 6’. It’s got some age on it so I would like to replace it. It’s a standard 180 6x2x2. My options here would be 96x30x25 or 72x30x25 if I go with standard dimensions. I’ve toyed with the idea of 36” depth but I believe I’d have to go custom (not sure I want to go the custom route) and I like keeping the height around 25 inches for ease of maintenance.
do the 96x30x25 of course lol. My tank is a 120x24x24 and for me its the perfect height and depth where I can get my arm in the tank and pretty much reach the back. The more depth you add the more difficult it will be to maintain, unless you have access from both sides. I only have access from the front.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my 72x36x24 tall I like wider tanks than longer myself..
IMG_0536.jpeg
IMG_1010.jpeg

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think flow is probably where you have the most difficulty scaling. You'd probably have to start thinking about those Abyzz water cannons or maybe a closed-loop system.

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I love a tank with depth it creates for some neat aqua scapes and great dimension. I should mention it won’t be a peninsula tank and while I won’t have to place the tank right up against the wall it won’t be 3’ away from it either lol. What I’m thinking is basically upgrade/add equipment to my current 180 and once I have it all or most of the necessary items then switch everything over to the new tank

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think flow is probably where you have the most difficulty scaling. You'd probably have to start thinking about those Abyzz water cannons or maybe a closed-loop system.
See this is what I believe would be a major factor in keeping me away from that length of tank. If I could use some pumps on the sides and back wall. With the back wall helping to create flow in the middle of the aquarium that would be my ideal situation. Those abyzz pumps have a crazy price tag. Which whole this isn’t the cheapest hobby it’s waaaaaay cheaper than my previous one lol

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there done that and went back. Had a 180 went to a 310 and today I am back with my old 180. For me maintenance was the issue with time. 180 versus 310 with larger water changes more equipment. I loved the 310, just didn’t like the time it took to keep it. Ended up selling most of my angels in the process of going back to the 180. Definitely do not want to deter you, if you have the time go for it
180 before 310.
8-5-19 full tank.jpg

full tank 1-1-2020r.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. I have an aging 180 and want to move to an 8' tank. Actually I have wanted to for years but now is starting to feel like the right time. If I do it I'm going with custom build from glass cages. Mine will be 96x30x25high with an external overflow on the short end so the tank can be placed closer to the wall and have plumbing in a corner. I'm using @Lost in the Sauce build as a plan but mine will be backwards :winking-face: Sump will be in the basement. I had a 29" tall tank once and working in the tank was a pita so I won't go taller than 25".

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this is what I believe would be a major factor in keeping me away from that length of tank. If I could use some pumps on the sides and back wall. With the back wall helping to create flow in the middle of the aquarium that would be my ideal situation. Those abyzz pumps have a crazy price tag. Which whole this isn’t the cheapest hobby it’s waaaaaay cheaper than my previous one lol
Gyree will get you whatcha need.. I run 2 mp40’s at 75% and two ice cap 4k gyres at 40% they move a ton of water! If I get up to 100% on the gyres it’s a crazy mess in my tank lol..

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My prior tank was 96x33x28.5. From that I went to a 120x30x36. This was the most beautiful looking aquarium. But it was absolutely impossible to work on without have a maintenance person with gorilla length arms.

I loved the look but hated the tank. After a crash wife said order what you want and so we got a 120x48x30.

WIth what you mentioned, it's going to be a custom tank. Custom at the size you're talking about is not any more expensive than a stock sized tank. It's just getting a tank built to suit your situation. If you want a 96x36x25 then order one up. Get the overflow just the way you want. Get the hole sizes cut and placed where you want. Get what you want.

As for flow. 8' of flow is pretty easy to handle. 10' of flow is an amazingly and exponentially harder issue to handle. And - I have (2) Abyzz Flow Canons and a Panta Rhei ECM63.

A flow cannon for an 8' tank is way overkill. For me it's important that the equipment of the tank is as minimally in view as possible. Having 3 bigger oversized pumps to keep out of view rather than a dozen inadequate pumps, that in the end cost the same amount and are not near as effective.

With an 8' tank in the dimensions you are pondering there are reasonably priced pumps that will handle the water movement you want/need. I will tell you that all water movement values printed are not the same. A small Panta Rhei ECM42 will move more water than a physically larger Jebao with a higher listed output - and for less energy consumption.

Dave B

2023-08-19 12.17.31.jpg

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My prior tank was 96x33x28.5. From that I went to a 120x30x36. This was the most beautiful looking aquarium. But it was absolutely impossible to work on without have a maintenance person with gorilla length arms.

I loved the look but hated the tank. After a crash wife said order what you want and so we got a 120x48x30.

WIth what you mentioned, it's going to be a custom tank. Custom at the size you're talking about is not any more expensive than a stock sized tank. It's just getting a tank built to suit your situation. If you want a 96x36x25 then order one up. Get the overflow just the way you want. Get the hole sizes cut and placed where you want. Get what you want.

As for flow. 8' of flow is pretty easy to handle. 10' of flow is an amazingly and exponentially harder issue to handle. And - I have (2) Abyzz Flow Canons and a Panta Rhei ECM63.

A flow cannon for an 8' tank is way overkill. For me it's important that the equipment of the tank is as minimally in view as possible. Having 3 bigger oversized pumps to keep out of view rather than a dozen inadequate pumps, that in the end cost the same amount and are not near as effective.

With an 8' tank in the dimensions you are pondering there are reasonably priced pumps that will handle the water movement you want/need. I will tell you that all water movement values printed are not the same. A small Panta Rhei ECM42 will move more water than a physically larger Jebao with a higher listed output - and for less energy consumption.

Dave B

2023-08-19 12.17.31.jpg

Tunze 6255 will easily handle 8+ ft. tank for those interested.

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 72x30x28 euro braced. If I would've known that the wife was going to go against the tank being inside the house, I would have gone with a 96x36x30(H). Now the tank is going inside the garage, luckily, I had a 2ton mini split installed. So go with the bigger tank, you'll love it.

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for what it’s also worth this will be an office tank. There are two other people not including myself who aid in taking care of the tank so this will for sure help spread the work load.

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. I have an aging 180 and want to move to an 8' tank. Actually I have wanted to for years but now is starting to feel like the right time. If I do it I'm going with custom build from glass cages. Mine will be 96x30x25high with an external overflow on the short end so the tank can be placed closer to the wall and have plumbing in a corner. I'm using @Lost in the Sauce build as a plan but mine will be backwards :winking-face: Sump will be in the basement. I had a 29" tall tank once and working in the tank was a pita Soni wint6go taller than 25".
I’m going to check out that thread. Do you have a build thread or plan on making one for yours?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back