OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there done that and went back. Had a 180 went to a 310 and today I am back with my old 180. For me maintenance was the issue with time. 180 versus 310 with larger water changes more equipment. I loved the 310, just didn’t like the time it took to keep it. Ended up selling most of my angels in the process of going back to the 180. Definitely do not want to deter you, if you have the time go for it
180 before 310.
8-5-19 full tank.jpg

full tank 1-1-2020r.jpg
Both are good looking tanks as I’m partial to euphyllia style corals myself. When you say time? Anything specific? Glass cleaning ? Water changes? Etc? I’m all for bigger being better but also to an extent. I would like to try to avoid myself regretting going to big

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 72x30x28 euro braced. If I would've known that the wife was going to go against the tank being inside the house, I would have gone with a 96x36x30(H). Now the tank is going inside the garage, luckily, I had a 2ton mini split installed. So go with the bigger tank, you'll love it.
I think the added height at 96” actually looks better than the 24” height however I’m super hesitant bc I already can barely reach the bottom on my 180 as it is

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What are some pros and cons of going with a 6’ vs 8’ tank. I know 2’ more swimming space is always a great thing. I know this would also require more lighting, additional flow etc. curious to hear from others on what I may be missing here
This is based on user experience and preference..... My best answer is to go with as big as you can afford and accomodate. Ive seen too many get into the hobby with a 30 gal and were ready to upgrade to a 75 in a hurry. I only run large systems and yes start up equipment costs are a little higher as well as weight of system but when you can stuff your tanks and stocking of fish and coral becomes often and offers a "Yes" answer - for me, bigger is better. Less maintenance due to larger volume, larger viewing area and great landscape configurations.

1693354262607.png

Last edited:

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always go with the biggest tank you can afford.
I agree with this, with the following caveat: when you’re drawing up your equipment list to figure out your cost, double everything you think you’ll need in terms of lights, powerheads, etc. and decide if you can still afford it…because you’re going to realize you need more than you think you’ll need. Maybe not necessarily because you’ll literally need double the lights and powerheads (although you might), but because you’re going to keep adding other equipment for this new system that you weren’t initially considering, and it adds up FAST. I went with a much smaller tank than I could’ve, but am maxing out the quality of my components, overkilling the good stuff, and maintenance is going to be much easier than if I’d gone larger.

TLDR: I’d revise this statement to read go with whichever build allows you to have the highest quality set up for your budget and which will be more enjoyable and financially practical for you to maintain.

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is based on user experience and preference..... My best answer is to go with as big as you can afford and accomodate. Ive seen too many get into the hobby with a 30 gal and were ready to upgrade to a 75 in a hurry. I only run large systems and yes start up equipment costs are a little higher as well as weight of system but when you can stuff your tanks and stocking of fish and coral becomes often and offers a "Yes" answer - for me, bigger is better. Less maintenance due to larger volume, larger viewing area and great landscape configurations.

1693354262607.png
That was me 15 years ago. My problem is I like big fish and I like a lot of fish lol. I’m not sure where the threshold of what is too big is for me. With my knowledge and what I’ve gathered/gathering I think sub 400 would be my sweet spot

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this, with the following caveat: when you’re drawing up your equipment list to figure out your cost, double everything you think you’ll need in terms of lights, powerheads, etc. and decide if you can still afford it…because you’re going to realize you need more than you think you’ll need. Maybe not necessarily because you’ll literally need double the lights and powerheads (although you might), but because you’re going to keep adding other equipment for this new system that you weren’t initially considering, and it adds up FAST. I went with a much smaller tank than I could’ve, but am maxing out the quality of my components, overkilling the good stuff, and maintenance is going to be much easier than if I’d gone larger.

TLDR: I’d revise this statement to read go with whichever build allows you to have the highest quality set up for your budget and which will be more enjoyable and financially practical for you to maintain.
This is very well said. Right now my 180 at the office and I have a 50 gallon at the house. I’ve thought plenty of times if I only had all my resources pouring into one tank how much more “convenient” it would be. I don’t personally geek out on all the techy stuff buuuuut I do appreciate quality items as well soo

badsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 300 gallon and a 30 gallon and I downsized to 2 200 gallon tanks haha
Definitely go big as you can afford

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 320 gallon display. It's 68x36x30 so just shy of 6 feet. I like the look of a 3 foot front to back because of the foreshortening effect of looking through the water.

Same reason I'd get a 40b over a 55 and a 75 or 120 over a 90.

when you’re drawing up your equipment list to figure out your cost, double everything you think you’ll need in terms of lights, powerheads, etc. and decide if you can still afford it…because you’re going to realize you need more than you think you’ll need.
Though I think doubling it is excessive, I agree with the spirit of the post.

Don't buy a 300 gallon tank and expect success hanging 3 led fixtures over it. Whether it's longer or wider, make sure you can afford the proper equipment.

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 320 gallon display. It's 68x36x30 so just shy of 6 feet. I like the look of a 3 foot front to back because of the foreshortening effect of looking through the water.

Don't buy a 300 gallon tank and expect success hanging 3 led fixtures over it. Whether it's longer or wider, make sure you can afford the proper equipment.
Yeah I tried to make somewhat clear that I don’t mean literally double…but it might be! Lol

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I tried to make somewhat clear that I don’t mean literally double…but it might be! Lol
I caught that.
There a lot of people out there who really don't have the means to properly care for the animals in their charge and it's the animals that pay.
I agree with the sentiment, get what you can afford and fits into your lifestyle.

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve also toyed with the idea that it’s a lot cheaper to fill a 180 with coral than *insert literally any size bigger than that* and less timely if you’re letting things grow out. With that being said in theory I’m okay with it being soft corals. Cheap easy stuff as I do have a regal angel but also part of me is like add some sticks into it. My idea is to also work backwards. Plan it out as if I was buying everything new and then go from there based off existing equipment I already have that can be used

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredibly I see no powerheads on the peninsula. Is all flow coming from the backside?
Yes it is! I wanted to drill it for a closed loop but I got away with my mp40’s and 2 ice cap 4k gyres on the over flow side.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cheap easy stuff as I do have a regal angel but also part of me is like add some sticks into it.
There is a working theory that with some predation you will see accelerated coral growth.
I guess the basis is a regular pruning stimulates growth.

I’ve also toyed with the idea that it’s a lot cheaper to fill a 180 with coral than *insert literally any size bigger than that* and less timely if you’re letting things grow out
I suppose that's true. I've had no trouble filling out my 320. I already had some pretty reasonable colonies from the old tank, But I pretty much only buy colonies (usually maricultured). I have started adding some "fancier" frags I got at Reefapalloza.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes it is! I wanted to drill it for a closed loop but I got away with my mp40’s and 2 ice cap 4k gyres on the over flow side.
I also don't like seeing equipment on the sides,or anything over the top either (cables,plumbing, ect. It's always a fun challenge to figure out what to do.

I had a friend who had a 400ish gallon tank that was 360 viewable. He had a dry overflow where all of his cables went down the middle. Even his cables to the lighting canopy wend down through the middle. It allowed for a completely flawless 360° viewable experience!

For me it was just having to add more vortechs to the back for a total of 4.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back