6 ft peninsula tank. Can flow be run from one end only?

WunderWagen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always the option to run a closed loop under the tank, just make sure you are a great glass cutter and plumber or u will have a problem.
Couldn't you just run piping inside of the tank under the rock work from a single main pump with multiple outlets without cutting the tank? I think this would work well on a peninsula to get flow routed throughout the tank without affecting the view.

Last edited by a moderator:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to answer a question with a question but have you given consideration on how much equipment you are willing to have within your new display? Visually speaking? Do you have any limits or have you factored in coral types, potential growth, over the years and the side effects they will have on flow? New tank vs 5 to 10 year mature tank are different.

You already know this I'm sure but:

Gyres will blanket the surface of the display. Various sizes to get surface spread and power to reach the other end. Connect two and alternate and you can simulate sway, left, right, in, outbound tides. The key isn't short pulses but rather longer durational flow pattern to hit the opposite side, pause, then the other side kicks in and repeats. Can also adjust paddles, reverse a side, or both sides, etc.

All power heads will vary on their spread. Some will have higher and wider angles of attack vs some that are more narrow focused. Some will not reach the opposite side. Some will reach. The hobbyist really has to pay attention to this because it may not work left to right in most cases but could be better suited back to front. Neptune WAV's come to mind working great in this fashion (back wall to front).

Closed loops are also a viable option. Use of random flow ends will also help but the pump used needs to be properly sized. The only challenge with closed loops is that you are sort of stuck with your original placement. That is really the only thing I don't like about them.

All things considered flow and biome are probably the two most important pieces of the puzzle for long term success. Flow today, new tank, is going to be different as each day passes with coral growth or hobbyist change. Spending that time up front to really toss around ideas, visualize placement, maintenance, and cost will go a long way.

Oh - and height of tank can also be something to consider.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't you just run piping inside of the tank under the rock work from a single main pump with multiple outlets without cutting the tank? I think this would work well on a peninsula to get flow routed throughout the tank without affecting the view.
Its harder to on a 6 foot aquarium as running any pipes into the tank from the top will be very hard to hide in the tank, it can be done but closed loop is easier for hiding equipment.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're setting up a 6ft (or possibly even an 8ft) peninsula tank, can flow be run from the back end of the tank to keep equipment off of the viewing sides of the tank? I'm thinking something like multiple gyre/crossflow pumps on the back wall. Can it be done? Who is doing it? System would be predominantly SPS.
Sure why not, for a 8 foot I will possibly use two Panta rhei hydrowizard ECM42s and call it a day.;)

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I'm not personally doing it myself, but I've seen a few videos of fairly large peninsula tanks where they're running their powerheads only at one end of the tank. The example I saw had something like 4 MP60s in a square pattern, with 2 of them pushing and 2 pulling at any given time to create a circular flow.
Can you explain that a little further? How do you get these pumps to push and pull? Can they be run in reverse?

Right now I'm experimenting with 4 Neptune WAV's in a square pattern on the back wall where the overflow is. The flow is bonkers. So much so, when looking down in the tank, you can't make much of anything out it's so turbulent. May be too much flow and they're not even close to turned all the way up.

I like the idea of having the push/pull thing going on. Especially if you could reverse it every couple of of hours, but I don't think the WAV's can be run in reverse to pull...

Thoughts?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RS 650P and so far I am going it. granted my tank will be LPS dom. but I have 2x Gyre 350 vertical on each side of the over flow box . it seems to be working for now but will see once I get more corals in the tank. tank is 8ish months now and really starting to stock it.

just to update this...

I "upgraded" my flow to 2X mp40 I dont thing there any better then the 2X gyres I have. yes there easier to clean and all that but just talking flow IDK same same really.

I knew i should have gone with the mp60s but being a LPS dom I thought I could of made due with the mp40s and yes it works just myabe the mp60s would have been better.

I am playing around with the flow right now I have 1 gyre and 1 mp40 on each side of the overflow.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain that a little further? How do you get these pumps to push and pull? Can they be run in reverse?

Right now I'm experimenting with 4 Neptune WAV's in a square pattern on the back wall where the overflow is. The flow is bonkers. So much so, when looking down in the tank, you can't make much of anything out it's so turbulent. May be too much flow and they're not even close to turned all the way up.

I like the idea of having the push/pull thing going on. Especially if you could reverse it every couple of of hours, but I don't think the WAV's can be run in reverse to pull...

Thoughts?
The Vortech wavemakers can run in different directions, etc. Here's a YouTube link to Parker's Reef where you can see how he's positioned his MP60s.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vortech wavemakers can run in different directions, etc. Here's a YouTube link to Parker's Reef where you can see how he's positioned his MP60s.

I guess that's an Ecotech feature then. As far as I know, we can't run Neptune WAV's in reverse. Would have been nice!

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Peninsula 650 and I've tried like heck to run flow from the overflow side. It isn't really feasible in my opinion. You end up blowing your sandbed all over and there's no 'pulse' to the flow. It just turns in to one steady flow that eliminates randomness. I have a gyre at both ends and the flow is great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back