6 line wrasse behavior

Dawson_hatton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
added a 6 line wrasse to one of my tanks today from qt. within about a minute of being added, he was exploring the rocks and darting at any fish that got near him, and even eating but all the sudden next thing I know I can’t find him anywhere. I finally found him in a cave breathing heavily and not moving. there’s no disease in the tank, all my other inhabitants are happy, and my water parameters are great. I’ve heard about wrasses being weird like this but i’m worried, he’s taking about 6 breathes per second or two. this all happened within about 2 hours.

02B4BFEA-61C5-42E5-BF3D-CA11F6C8262B.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put him through a full 30 day medicated quarantine, then he could just be stressed from the tank move.

OP
OP
D

Dawson_hatton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t actually use medication, just observance to make sure he didn’t have anything unusual for a couple weeks. I noticed him and one of my damsels got into it a bit, maybe that’s it? I don’t see any reason for the hard breathing though, that worries me, but it could be from a lot of things I guess.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let's hope that it's from fighting with the damsel and not something else. Was there a difference in salinity between your QT and your DT?

OP
OP
D

Dawson_hatton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope, both the same, plus I drip acclimated for about 45 min on top of floating. I’m assuming it’s from the damsel, his breathing pattern has seemed to get the ever so slightest bit better over the past hour. hopefully he’s fine and emerges in a couple days like most wrasses

OP
OP
D

Dawson_hatton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now he’s on his side, bot breathing as heavy. not sure if he’s playing dead or what????

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back