6 line wrasse looks like he has varicella?!

WillyWicked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a 50 gallon tank with two clowns, a bicolor blenny, a yellow watchmen goby, gsp coral and a bta. Finally, I have a six line wrasse which is the problem here. I had him 2 months ago and he was doing perfect. I had to move everything to my new appartment and so it probably caused a stress I don't know. I realised that my wrasse wasn't coming out much anymore nor eating. After 3 weeks, I decided to check on him and he was hiding in a hole in the rocks. Wasn't moving from there for days. Realised that ge became skinny as hell, his equilibrium wasn't that good and he had red dots under his chin. Put him into quarantine and he wasn't doing so good, but still was eating. I was finally too late to react... he passed away. I never saw that type of disease before (I worked in a petshop for years). My tank is a year old, the parameters are almost perfect. No ammonia, low nitrates and phosphates, ph around 8, alk around 9 dKH, cal around 400ppm. Really don't understand how it could have happened but my guess is that it was an internal bacterial or parasites infection. If someone can ID the disease and tell me how it could have happened or if my other fish can catch it, that would be great. Don't want ky tank to crash... Here are some pictures. They aren't that clear, but the dots under his chin are really dots and red.
Screenshot_20210525-163615_Motion photo viewer.jpg
Screenshot_20210525-163825_Motion photo viewer.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Can’t really say what caused this fish to get that skinny. Could have been internal parasites, but that is more a gradually worsening thing. If your other fish are maintaining weight, I don’t think there is a big risk of them getting the same issue.
I’ve seen tiny red dots around the mouth of this species, but not as many as that, not sure what caused that.
Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 34 19.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back