6 line wrasse...

hbetanzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question guys... can I add to my 50gallon tank a 6line wrasse? I have already in there a pair of clowns and a blue hippo tang... sorry for the question but I don't trust any more the guy from the store.. they always said yes, just to get some Busines... and if something goes wrong they always blame on me... because "I'm new in this hobby" and did something wrong... thank you all for your time and I'll really appreciate some advice!!!

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add a 6 line to a 50. You can but you might be limited to what fish you can add after

Plus your hippo will outgrow your tank soon. I would go with one of the bristletooth tangs next time. Like a kole.

I would go with a fairy or flasher wrasses there peaceful active abd you can add a few to your tank. Just make sure you have a lid they jump

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
I wouldn't add a 6 line to a 50. You can but you might be limited to what fish you can add after

Plus your hippo will outgrow your tank soon. I would go with one of the bristletooth tangs next time. Like a kole.

I would go with a fairy or flasher wrasses there peaceful active abd you can add a few to your tank. Just make sure you have a lid they jump

Go with a fairy or flasher wrasses they will be active like the 6 line. Read what people say here about 6 line wrasse. Read about the wrasse you pick either here on R2R or google it.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify. Your lfs isn't lying to you. In a 50 gallon 4 foot tank. You can easily put a six line. I have them in my 4 foot frag tanks. With tangs. No problem at all. But you will be limited in Whst you can add to your tank. Those cute little fish that look weak and cute aren't so cute. It's kind of like Damsels

OP
OP
hbetanzo

hbetanzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify. Your lfs isn't lying to you. In a 50 gallon 4 foot tank. You can easily put a six line. I have them in my 4 foot frag tanks. With tangs. No problem at all. But you will be limited in Whst you can add to your tank. Those cute little fish that look weak and cute aren't so cute. It's kind of like Damsels

I'm not planning to add more fishes, just the 6 lines wrasse... I forgot to mention that I have 2 cardinals, would it be a problem?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines can become quite aggressive. And while you have no plans to add anymore fish now, by adding a sixline, you are severely limiting yourself in the future. For example, a hippo tang will eventually outgrow your tank. When that happens and you rehome the hippo, will you still be content not to add anymore fish?

SirMilo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it but that's your call.
I added a 6 Line to my 120 as the "last fish" because my wife wanted one.
After about 3-4 months without issues, the 6 Line harassed all 3 firefish that I had for close to 2 years to death. Now this fish is harassing my clowns. They are holding their ground but the wrasse is constantly nipping at their fins. The wrasse went in with 6 fish, now there's 3.
I had an aggressive FOWLR setup and apparently didn't learn my lesson about wrasses after owning a Lunar. I swore I would never own another wrasse after removing 200 pounds of live rock to evict it. After 2 bad experiences with wrasses, I will NEVER own another wrasse in this lifetime. You may get lucky, I didn't.... twice.

I have a fish trap in the tank as I write this in hopes of not tearing my tank down to remove it.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 3-4 months without issues, the 6 Line harassed all 3 firefish that I had for close to 2 years to death. Now this fish is harassing my clowns. They are holding their ground but the wrasse is constantly nipping at their fins. The wrasse went in with 6 fish, now there's 3.
I had an aggressive FOWLR setup and apparently didn't learn my lesson about wrasses after owning a Lunar. I swore I would never own another wrasse after removing 200 pounds of live rock to evict it. After 2 bad experiences with wrasses, I will NEVER own another wrasse in this lifetime. You may get lucky, I didn't.... twice.

I have a fish trap in the tank as I write this in hopes of not tearing my tank down to remove it.

There are many peaceful wrasses. Lunar isn't one of them. As you found it. The 6 line in a 220 should be fine with most fish but firefish aren't one if them. They are too timid. I would add a few more fish to your tang spread out the aggression. Just make sure it's fish that can hold there own. Tangs , dwarf angels , blue throat tigger Fish like thst

SirMilo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many peaceful wrasses. Lunar isn't one of them. As you found it. The 6 line in a 220 should be fine with most fish but firefish aren't one if them. They are too timid. I would add a few more fish to your tang spread out the aggression. Just make sure it's fish that can hold there own. Tangs , dwarf angels , blue throat tigger Fish like thst

Firstly, let me be very clear that I don't disagree with your statement.

I knew what to expect with the Lunar and it did go into an aggressive system. I had to remove it because the trigger, being the peacekeeper, was trying to tear it to shreds for being the most obnoxious fish in the tank- I saved that fish from itself and it cost me in stress and time.
I realize that firefish are timid but my clowns aren't in any way timid and they are bigger than the wrasse. My sixtine IS a problem with my clowns. This stupid fish has even tried to take on a much larger tang and continues to do so occasionally until he gets the scalpel. While I agree that adding a small wrasse with the 3 larger firefish was my error, and it wasn't a problem until many months later, there is still increasing aggression towards ALL fish in my tank. I feed well and have lots of hiding places in my rockscape so it isn't a matter of starvation or being forced to run into each other constantly. With this being the case, all wrasses are banned in my world regardless of their disposition, peaceful or not, due to my experiences.
Maybe it's my loss but I really don't care at this point and the 3rd time will not be the charm.

The purpose of my post was to inform the OP of my experience with my sixline.
I've read plenty of posts saying things such as "model citizen", "no problem with previously established and/or larger fish", and "always add last and you should be fine"- I can dispute every one of these statements through my personal experience with THIS particular sixline.
On the other hand, I've read plenty of complaints of increased aggression over time which is exactly what I have experienced.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol funny post. Ps I never said the 6 line wasn't a blank. Just think you are missing out on many peaceful and colorful wrasses. Any fairy wrasse or flasher wrasse would be a great addiction to your tank. But in the end it's up to you. Not to sound rude. But it doesn't matter to me Whst you out into your tank

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's toobad your associating all wrasses with the aggression of the lunar and sixline. Both of these pack a lot of attitude relative to their size. But there are many much more desireable species.

MikeAndrews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 line wrasse in my 190 Reef for 6 years now. I was lucky as he is a model citizen! Other fish are yellow tang, coral beauty angel, large tomato clown ( coral frag moving PIA) red flame hawk fish, green. Chromis pair. All fish that can hold their own. Agree if you get one it will limit your selection to exclude timid fish.

dmh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck I am currently going through the same hell with my 6 line wrasse. We have the fish trap but so far no luck.

Jenna Bearden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six line wrass with two clowns, a damsil, and two tangs in a 100 gallon. They get along from what I see. I've had the wrass for a year and no one has anything missing. The only thing I miss having in my tank are shrimp. He'll eat them in a heart beat.

chowwil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my 6 line for about 6 months in a 55 gal. Had no problems with my clowns or other fish, but do tend to pick on smaller fish than him once while. Newer fish after him is a different story, but will stop after a few days.

Back