OP
hbetanzo

hbetanzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all!!! I'm not getting the wrasse... maybe just going to buy a yellow or purple tang..

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six line in our 29 gallon biocube with two clowns and a royal gramma. He gets along just fine with them, but has killed any other fish we have tried to add. He is definitely the last fish to add to any tank.

We also have a melanarus wrasse in our 125. He is super peaceful and eats all of the bad pests like the six line, but he is a bit bigger and may be cramped in a 50 gallon.

I would recommend not adding a yellow tang, they can be quite aggressive as well and would quickly get too big for your tank.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixline become little satans more often than not. I would avoid it. What most have said here is true about sixline.

SirMilo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all!!! I'm not getting the wrasse... maybe just going to buy a yellow or purple tang..

I think that you have made a wise decision to avoid a sixline. Some don't have issues but, as you can see, many do. I will leave it to others to comment on whether you are making a mistake by not considering other wrasses.

Good luck I am currently going through the same hell with my 6 line wrasse. We have the fish trap but so far no luck.

Sorry to hear this- good luck to you as well.
Mine went to the LFS around 5pm today. I went to the pet store for dog food earlier today and left a rock with nori inside the trap. When I got home, the nori was gone and the tang was wandering in and out of the trap looking for more. When the wrasse followed the tang in, that was all she wrote.
Took 4 days and underfeeding to catch it but this problem is officially no longer my problem.

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, six lines are a royal PITA.

I've been trying to catch mine for 1.5 years now. LOL

Mine harassed my Jawfish to death.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bit late, but honestly, Wrasses are awesome fish provided you do your research and get the right one. A Melanurus Wrasse would be a little bit tight in a 50 gallon (then again I currently have a young one in my 36 gallon), but it would be brightly colored addition and with rare exceptions people have great experiences with them. I got a really young one and it has been the only fish I have added in 4 attempts that hasn't caused me aggression issues. I have had to Remove a Flame Angel, A Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse and an Occ Clownfish due to aggression issues. The Melanurus is bold and very active but doesn't mess with it's tank mates. That said, my clownfish was an absolute butthead to all my fish and pushed the wrasse around for a while and then the wrasse spent the next day beating the crap out of the clownfish (it actually grabbed it by the tail with it's mouth and gave it the rag doll treatment) and then left it alone other than the occasional reminder nip when it got too close. So IMHO they are the perfect balance, active and peaceful and won't seek out a fight but they won't be pushed around by a comparable sized aggressive fish either. The only downside to them is that they will eat some snails and crabs. Given everything else they offer though it's a fair trade.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back