6 week Holiday, Do I give up my tank >

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the felt ones i was using would clog within a week ...now i've switched to mesh...when they clogged the water level in that chamber would rise, and the level where the ato float is would drop, so salinity would go down as more water was added....skimmers are just one more thing to go wrong...cups can overflow and manage to get water on the floor even if they are in the sump, air inlets can clog etc....there's enough people out there that run tanks without either one so i figure mine can do without for a few weeks
I dont run skimmers without float switches or optical sensors in the collection cup anymore.

skimmers can be set to run a more dry skim so they can still aerate the water like normal with less chances to fill up.

mesh socks are definitely a good alternative to felt for more time if not removing entirely.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what type of feeder do you use please to last that long whilst away ?
Eheim Everyday Fish Feeder

https://www.chewy.com/eheim-everyday-fish-feeder-food/dp/157989

For long trips, I use two — one set to feed a small amount 8am and 4pm, the other set to feed a small amount 12pm and 8 pm.

This way:
  • It will last twice as long as just one feeder dispensing a normal amount 3-4 times/day
  • If one should malfunction for some reason (never happened yet), the other will still be adding at least some food to the tank until I get back

Sometimes, when I feed really small pellets, I'll put a little tape over half the opening to fine-tune the amount dispensed even more. And I'll also put tape over the internal drum vent to keep pellets from sneaking past the vent into the motor housing.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what type of feeder do you use please to last that long whilst away ?
I use Eheim feeders - 2 of them.

One feeds morning and the other feeds afternoons - it is also redundancy in case one clogs up or somehow stops working. Otherwise the big fish would have a small fish buffet.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 98 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back