60 cube wiped out by Hurricane Sandy. Now what?

  • Thread starter Thread starter E.intheC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

E.intheC

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 4, 2009
Messages
399
Reaction score
160
Location
Long Island NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... To make a long story short.... I haven't had power since Monday, October 29th. Despite my best effort, I was unable to save my tank. It's a complete loss . I have only live rock and bacteria currently.

That said, I am looking for ideas for restocking. I don't have anything that I'm ruling out at the moment (except for stocking the tank with fish that will grow too large, obviously)...

Does anyone have any interesting suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
 
I'm so sorry about your loss. As for restocking, you could do a themed tank. One example would be a tank that has livestock that would be found in the wild together. Do you have any interest in doing a tank with a Fu Manchu or fuzzy dwarf lionfish?

Also, check out the vendor threads there are several vendors that are donating corals to sandy victims.
 
Go to the sponsor threads and enter the raffles! I'm so sorry about your tank I couldn't even imagine how frustrating it must feel...
 
Sorry to read about your loss. I am planning on building a cube tank like this and have put much thought into what to do. In my case I decided to go with something like Seahorsekeeper mentioned.

As of now, I plan on doing 3 chromies or damsels, 1 yasha goby and pistol shrimp and either a urchin or starfish. I have also considered doing beautiful zoa,acan tank with nothing but a mantis shrimp living in it.
 
Wow. Sorry to hear about your issue.. I had a friend lose a whole tank when a tornado ripped into our town and knocked his power out for 3-4 days. I was lucky and had a back up gen to keep mine going or mine would have been lost too. I feel your pain man.. :(

Il send you some free Magician palys to help you get going again if you pay the shipping.. no joke.. ;)
 
Thanks for the offers and suggestions everyone.

This morning I was able to turn on the lights and survey the tank. Overall temp is 75.6 degrees and slowly climbing. I'm going to test other Params later on this afternoon.

Everything with the exception of my dendros, 2 acan frags, (hopefully) a few Zoas, and my fire shrimp(!!) is gone. I removed any dead corals and cleaned out my skimmer's collection cup. I have the flow pretty high so that the detritus and dead coral tissue, etc are stirred up and removed.

I'm leaning toward an acan, Zoa, ricordea, and nps dominate tank. I'd like to consider a shoal of anthias as the sole inhabitants but I'm not sure if my tank is large enough.
 
How many anthias are you thinking of? If they are the sole inhabitants, I think you can do 5-7. You'll need to feed them at least 2-3 times a day, and that may be beneficial to the NPS as well.
 
How many anthias are you thinking of? If they are the sole inhabitants, I think you can do 5-7. You'll need to feed them at least 2-3 times a day, and that may be beneficial to the NPS as well.

I was thinking 4-5 or so. I'm not sure I want to go that way now, though. Good thinking with the NPS and multiple feedings.

At the LFS today, I was trying to come up with ideas while looking at the different fish. I might go with a bunch of very small fish like gobies or bennies, but I worry about aggression... Maybe I'll try a sunburst anthias. Just really not sure at this point...
 
Sorry for your loss i feel your pain mine wasn't from a hurricane but a angry x bleach did it in........

I like the acan idea there one of my favorite corals!!
 
Sorry for your loss i feel your pain mine wasn't from a hurricane but a angry x bleach did it in........

I like the acan idea there one of my favorite corals!!

Ouch.. A college buddy of mine had a fresh water tank. His crazy ex girlfriend threw a fish out the window... Who does stuff like that?

And acans are one of my favorite corals, too.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new