60 Gallon Breeder Build

mherb24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Aqueon 60 gallon breeder is ready to stock.

It all started with a stroll down the wrong isle at a local pet shop. Needed some dog food and found a brand new 60b tank for $85. I already have a 20 long and a 40 AIO, what am I going to do with another tank. That thought lasted maybe 60 seconds. In no time I had the tank in my car loaded alongside enough 2x4's to build a new stand.

I watched a few videos on youtube and went to work cutting lumber. I decided this was probably going to be the only stand I ever built, so I may have gone a little overboard with the screws.

IMG_6330.jpeg

Applied three coats of gloss black stain just in time for my new wet dry filter from Aqua-Link.

IMG_1947.jpeg

I have no clue how to use a wet dry filter. But when I called Aqua-Link to ask some questions, Tim Link spent more than an hour on the phone with me going over the basic concepts of how they work. That evening I placed my order on their website. Made to order and it only took 10 days to receive. I was going to put doors on my stand, but now I'm not so sure I want to.

I'm glad I had some basics in plumbing. By far, this has been the most frustrating part of the build thus far.

IMG_2036.jpeg IMG_2067.jpeg

I use Seachem Matrix in my existing tanks, so I added some to one of the reactors. I have not been able to find a similar reactor setup. The water just flows in from the top and uses gravity to run over the media. I have been experimenting with the Jabeo DCP-4000 return pump and I best I can gather is its pumping about 100 gallons an hour over the media. Not sure if thats too much flow, but I figure when I add carbon to the second reactor I would start much less, maybe 50 gallons per hour.

At this point I added API's Marine Quick Start. I started dosing 35 drops of ammonia each day which would raise the ammonia to over 2 ppm. By the next morning I was testing at .5. I kept dosing ammonia each day for a week, but nitrite or nitrate stayed at zero and the ammonia returned to .5 or less each day.

The only thing I was lacking at this point was lights. Wow have lights gotten pricey. I love my Ai Prime 16HD's but decided to try a light I had not seen before, the Noo-Psych K7 Pro III. Again with the super quick shipping. From date of order I had the lights on the 8th day. Shipped from right here in the US.

IMG_2084.jpeg

The provided arms for the lights did not look like they were going to fit the extra wide rim of the Aqueon tank, so I left the smallest of gaps when tightening the screws and they fit snugly.

I quickly found a website that makes creating profiles for the light simple:

Without this site, the light would be much more difficult to use. Even though I had them set up as master and slave in just minutes. I could not get them paired using the wifi option and instead have to use the AP connection. Each time I tried to make an adjustment to a profile I would loose connection between my phone, the app and the lights. I live in the middle of the forest with no cell reception, so when I switch networks to the Noo-Psych network I'm removed from cell coverage. Maybe that is playing a role is my connection issues.

I had read some negative things about Noo-Psych just after I placed my order. I had no similar problems. My lights came in from here is the US, Zach B sent me a tracking number. Came in on the day it was quoted.

The second issue was the power supply. I did get the 126 watt plugs even though the lights output is 140 watts, But I at 50% on the blues and the power block has heated up to 88 degrees. Doesn't sound all that hot, I'll just keep it away from the tank.

The rock pile on the left in the tank is just loose rock. I have a few pieces of life rock covered in coral I want to bring over from my AIO, just nervous as to when I should try. What a few months for the tank to mature some, put in the rocks and bring the maturity I have with me.

OP
OP
mherb24

mherb24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first criticism. I didn't plan out the auto top off. My existing tanks have a small tank under to hold limewater. In place of an ato, I added a refugium. I might just pop a hole into the garage and have a tank there. Maybe make a station with barrels set up and prepped. But a simple bucket out in the garage will get the just done for now.

OP
OP
mherb24

mherb24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are that close to a water source I would do AWC.
Just behind the tank is my garage. I could easily bring 1/4" line over to hook up my rodi system closer to the tanks. Drill a hole in the wall and run the water line. Might even add a second 1/2" line to drain water out for water changes. Next project, right now I'm about to turn on my skimmer and get it dialed in and then order some cheato to start my refugium up.

OP
OP
mherb24

mherb24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a stock list yet? Corals-fish etc?? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

2 clowns
1 8” engineer goby
1 Blue Velvet Damselfish
1 coral banded shrimp
Candy cane pistol shrimp (if I can get him out of my smaller tank)
2 urchins

These rocks will all be transferred.

IMG_2114.jpeg

Started with moving my clowns.

IMG_2105.jpeg

Took this photo from my recliner. I built the stand short so I could easily watch everything while relaxing in front of the fire. Eye level while reclined.

OP
OP
mherb24

mherb24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have officially entered the ugly phase!

image.jpg

Hopefully the uglies doesn’t last long. Patiently waiting it out this time around before adding anything else. My last tank had way too much livestock in it in the first week.

I took time over the last week to dial in the flow to each attachment.

My Jebao DCP4000 return pump outputs 1056 gph

I will use 35% of the pumps power to provide 225 gph or 4x turnover of my 60 gallon DT.

I have 200 gph going to the skimmer and 50 gph each headed towards the 3 reactors.

200 gph in the refugium is creating a nice flow, but until I add chaeto I won’t be sure.

Only have 10% reserve power so additional equipment will require an additional pump.

This week I will continue working on my lights. I really like the noo-psych k7 pro iii’s. I created a quick low light program I’ll use for the next month, but I want to get a program dialed in prior to adding corals.

OP
OP
mherb24

mherb24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First part of my ugly phase came and went very quickly.

The photo in my last post was the worst of it. The following morning it had all cleared up. I woke to a clean tank. Maybe my turbo snails got busy.

I waited an additional day before I decided to turn my lights up to max out at 50% power.

After a few more days of the tank staying clean I started transferring more rocks and corals from one of my other tanks.

Still a work in progress.

72073296467__8F0B2C2D-1B9B-429A-8EFA-BA4422250B2A.fullsizerender.jpeg

My lawnmower blenny went along for the ride. Kinda nervous he is not going to have enough to eat in a newer tank. I may go ahead and move over the rest of my live rock this weekend so he has more mature rock to peck at.

The pair of clown fish took a day to find the bi color frammer and have not left it since. Makes me happy that the frammer is hosting the clowns, hope it doesn’t mind, it’s never had fish around it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back