60 Gallon Cube Build/journal

Fruity Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so my previous tank build went dead after the tank decided to spring a leak just a few days into the build (Thankfully before I had even started to cycle) but now I am sooo stoked! My husband got me a beautiful 2nd hand tank for my Birthday and I am excited to start the process on my "First" official reef tank!

I have previously only played with a little Fluval for the last 2ish years and after many frustrations with water perams on such a little tank I'm ready to jump into something bigger!

This is my new 80g system with a 60g display and a 20g sump.

Luckily I still had all of the Marco Rock and a few extra bags of Sand from the 30 that went out so I ordered about 40lbs more Marco Rock and I will be putting around 10lbs of live rock in the refug. in the sump. Still need to pick out lighting and flow, but I am sooo excited to start this journal!

here are a couple of pictures of the new tank, and me playing with a bit of the marco I had left from the 30g.
1694200730215.png
1694200765897.png

OP
OP
Fruity Reefer

Fruity Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got all of my Marco in (I bought way to much so I could build and make weird shapes) kind of digging this design but really can’t decide..

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpeg
    IMG_1038.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1036.jpeg
    IMG_1036.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1035.jpeg
    IMG_1035.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1034.jpeg
    IMG_1034.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Fruity Reefer

Fruity Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally got my pump and everything else in place for the plumbing, water is added and the cycle started. Will post more pics tomorrow after the sand/water clears up!

I used Caribsea Fiji Pink and Marco Rock in the tank
Aswell as Fiji pink and a 3lb chunk live rock from my LFS with a really healthy bit of coralline on it in my fuge just get some established bacteria.

I used Fritz Fishless Fuel to kick things off as well as Seachem Stability to establish my BioLoad.

Now I just need to decide on some lighting. I’m leaning towards the Hydra 32, but that may just be because I used a prime 16 on my fluval and loved the interface and programming.
Also need to get a skimmer picked out here soon.

However I’m not too concerned because I shouldn’t need lighting or a skimmer for a month or so until my tank is finished cycling.

IMG_1090.jpeg IMG_1091.jpeg

OP
OP
Fruity Reefer

Fruity Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked out my lights!

I'm stoked, I was originally hunting for a decent-priced radion and accidentally stumbled on a few people talking about the Reefi Uno 2.0 looks like it should be everything I need and more!

The cycle is pretty well finished, I dosed back up to 2ppm ammonia just to make sure it's clearing well. But once my lights get in I should be just about ready!

Still trying to figure out a decent Sump for my system but I'm not super worried as I don't even have livestock yet.

OP
OP
Fruity Reefer

Fruity Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m absolutely stoked!

My light arrived and it is absolutely perfect!!!
Can’t wait to get it dialed in!

I also added Brightwell bricked soaked for 24 hours in Microbacter7 in addition to my other bacteria dosing yesterday, the cycle seems to be pretty well completed. Going to give a little bit longer to settle but will be adding pods possibly tomorrow as well as setting up the Refugium.

Attachments

• IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1206.jpeg
    IMG_1206.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1208.jpeg
    IMG_1208.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 32

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m absolutely stoked!

My light arrived and it is absolutely perfect!!!
Can’t wait to get it dialed in!

I also added Brightwell bricked soaked for 24 hours in Microbacter7 in addition to my other bacteria dosing yesterday, the cycle seems to be pretty well completed. Going to give a little bit longer to settle but will be adding pods possibly tomorrow as well as setting up the Refugium.
Light looks great!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back