60 Gallon Cube Build/journal

Fruity Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so my previous tank build went dead after the tank decided to spring a leak just a few days into the build (Thankfully before I had even started to cycle) but now I am sooo stoked! My husband got me a beautiful 2nd hand tank for my Birthday and I am excited to start the process on my "First" official reef tank!

I have previously only played with a little Fluval for the last 2ish years and after many frustrations with water perams on such a little tank I'm ready to jump into something bigger!

This is my new 80g system with a 60g display and a 20g sump.

Luckily I still had all of the Marco Rock and a few extra bags of Sand from the 30 that went out so I ordered about 40lbs more Marco Rock and I will be putting around 10lbs of live rock in the refug. in the sump. Still need to pick out lighting and flow, but I am sooo excited to start this journal!

here are a couple of pictures of the new tank, and me playing with a bit of the marco I had left from the 30g.
1694200730215.png
1694200765897.png

OP
OP
Fruity Reefer

Fruity Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got all of my Marco in (I bought way to much so I could build and make weird shapes) kind of digging this design but really can’t decide..

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpeg
    IMG_1038.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1036.jpeg
    IMG_1036.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1035.jpeg
    IMG_1035.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1034.jpeg
    IMG_1034.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Fruity Reefer

Fruity Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally got my pump and everything else in place for the plumbing, water is added and the cycle started. Will post more pics tomorrow after the sand/water clears up!

I used Caribsea Fiji Pink and Marco Rock in the tank
Aswell as Fiji pink and a 3lb chunk live rock from my LFS with a really healthy bit of coralline on it in my fuge just get some established bacteria.

I used Fritz Fishless Fuel to kick things off as well as Seachem Stability to establish my BioLoad.

Now I just need to decide on some lighting. I’m leaning towards the Hydra 32, but that may just be because I used a prime 16 on my fluval and loved the interface and programming.
Also need to get a skimmer picked out here soon.

However I’m not too concerned because I shouldn’t need lighting or a skimmer for a month or so until my tank is finished cycling.

IMG_1090.jpeg IMG_1091.jpeg

OP
OP
Fruity Reefer

Fruity Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked out my lights!

I'm stoked, I was originally hunting for a decent-priced radion and accidentally stumbled on a few people talking about the Reefi Uno 2.0 looks like it should be everything I need and more!

The cycle is pretty well finished, I dosed back up to 2ppm ammonia just to make sure it's clearing well. But once my lights get in I should be just about ready!

Still trying to figure out a decent Sump for my system but I'm not super worried as I don't even have livestock yet.

OP
OP
Fruity Reefer

Fruity Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m absolutely stoked!

My light arrived and it is absolutely perfect!!!
Can’t wait to get it dialed in!

I also added Brightwell bricked soaked for 24 hours in Microbacter7 in addition to my other bacteria dosing yesterday, the cycle seems to be pretty well completed. Going to give a little bit longer to settle but will be adding pods possibly tomorrow as well as setting up the Refugium.

Attachments

• IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1206.jpeg
    IMG_1206.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1208.jpeg
    IMG_1208.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 35

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m absolutely stoked!

My light arrived and it is absolutely perfect!!!
Can’t wait to get it dialed in!

I also added Brightwell bricked soaked for 24 hours in Microbacter7 in addition to my other bacteria dosing yesterday, the cycle seems to be pretty well completed. Going to give a little bit longer to settle but will be adding pods possibly tomorrow as well as setting up the Refugium.
Light looks great!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 18 17.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back