60 gallon stocking

agrde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish can I get in my 60 gallon tank? I have already have a yellow tang, blue damsel, royal gramma, 3 cromis, 2 clownfish, a clown goby , fire fish, chalk bass, and a diamond goby (I have a protein skimmer btw)

I was hoping to add a longnose hawk fish and a six line wrasse

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish can I get in my 60 gallon tank? I have already have a yellow tang, blue damsel, royal gramma, 3 cromis, 2 clownfish, a clown goby , fire fish, chalk bass, and a diamond goby (I have a protein skimmer btw)

1” of fish for ever 5 gallons is safe. So, 12” of fish for you. If you’re really good at changing water and maintenance then maybe 3 gallons. So 20” of fish. Not what you wanted to hear I’m sure.

OP
OP
A

agrde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1” of fish for ever 5 gallons is safe. So, 12” of fish for you. If you’re really good at changing water and maintenance then maybe 3 gallons. So 20” of fish. Not what you wanted to hear I’m sure.
I was told by my lfs that a protein skimmer would double the amount I could have. Is this true?

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're already over what you should have.

MPrz59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dont think there is a direct way to say how many fish per gallon because each fish is different. Just do a little research on how big the tank should be, how active is the fish, where in the water column does it swim, etc also if you do add new fish watch out for the tang and damsel because they can be nasty to new fish. I have a sailfin and he always bombards new tank mates and flares his fins. Its normal but make sure it doesnt turn into nipping and fighting

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1” of fish for ever 5 gallons is safe.
Sort of, but not really a great reference point. It misses so many of the variables that go into stocking a tank.
I was told by my lfs that a protein skimmer would double the amount I could have. Is this true?
It helps managing bio-loads, nothing magical about it that allows more fish.

I have a 65 gallon. 2 clowns, yellow-eye kole tang, melanurus wrasse, bangaii cardinal, royal gramma, target mandarin. And I consider it pretty well stocked. Your yellow tang will be aggressive, the damsel likely will be a bit aggressive, the chromis could be aggressive with each other, the clowns can be territorial. And that 6 line you want to add will be aggressive. I'd say you are likely overstocked, and those two fish would not be good additions.

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are way over what you should have. If you want more fish, start planning for an upgrade.

Theoretically, could you control the bioload of additional fish? Yes.
Could you control the aggression/stress, leading to potential disease/death? Definitely not.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back