600 gal restart

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to this forum and getting back into the hobby after a long break. Here is a link to my build thread and I'll be posting current pics of the tank on this thread. I only have 6 small fish in it now and am excited to start stocking again. I plan on upgrading lights so I can keep a few corals this go around.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Looking forward to the pictures!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very unique aquascape. Looking forward to seeing how it looks now. I know you've started and stopped the tank a few times but did you leave it wet or drain it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community !

OP
OP
D

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very unique aquascape. Looking forward to seeing how it looks now. I know you've started and stopped the tank a few times but did you leave it wet or drain it?
The tank was drained once so I could remove the sand... It's been running the last few yrs with just a few power heads and a couple of t5s for light

OP
OP
D

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the tank as it sits (sad) today. I'll be pulling out the artificial coral and slowly adding real corals as soon as I get the new led lighting in place. I'm looking at the kessil 360x with reflector... At least 2 of them
image.jpeg

OP
OP
D

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the new pump (dolphin amp master 6250). I moved it to the outside of the fish room because it's a bit louder then the old reeflo pump. Less heat in the room also
image.jpeg

OP
OP
D

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the skimmer running again after many yrs of non use. It's exciting to see the tank finally getting the attention it deserves. I can't wait to add the led lighting and start adding real corals

image.jpeg

OP
OP
D

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feeling pretty good because I finally pulled the trigger on 2 new kessil 360x with wifi dongle. I also bought the narrow reflectors that go with them. They should be here in a few days.. From a few videos I've seen they really add the shimmer like my old MH lights did. I might add a 3rd one but I'll see what it looks like with these 2 first. Pics to come

OP
OP
D

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything more fun in this hobby than getting new toys? (Maybe a new fish or coral). I can't wait to get these up and start the coral list. We will start with some softies mid to bottom 2/3 of the tank and adjust intensity as needed.
image.jpeg

OP
OP
D

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a pic of the tank with artificial corals removed and one light up. I'm having fun adjusting colors with my phone (that's exciting stuff for us old guys... Lol)
image.jpeg

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are the dimensions of the tank? Your gonna need a whole lot more kessils to light that tank.

OP
OP
D

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the tank? Your gonna need a whole lot more kessils to light that tank.
Tank is 96x36x46 tall ... Here's both lights on. It should be plenty of light for zoas, mushrooms, leathers in the mid to lower 2/3 of the tank. Maybe a torch and hammer up a bit. I'm not trying to make the whole tank bright just the middle to right side. I like subdued lighting by the back lit cave. Thanks for looking and I appreciate the comments.
image.jpeg

OP
OP
D

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you only want to light one part of the tank? Kessils only cover a 20x20-24x24 area each.
Check out the narrow reflectors for the 360x... They narrow the spread from 130 degrees down to 55 degrees. more punch for deeper tanks. Only half the tank will have corals and only a handful at that. From the BRS video I watched the par numbers look good for the softies I plan to keep. I'm 13" away from the sides of the rock, 22" away from each other and 12" from the water (just like the test that they did in the video). I'll add a few mushrooms and play around with height levels and see what happens. I can always add another light if needed. All I know is these led lights are way cooler then the compact flors we used back in the 80s... Lol Thanks again for your interest.

OP
OP
D

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update... Added a few more fish (small because of covid 19 price increases)I'm sure they'll get big soon enough.

Back