600G. Help pick my skimmer

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8' 300 display, 125 sump, 90g fuge, 90g LPS/waterchange tank. Currently using an old reef octopus diablo 8" recirculating skimmer. Looking to upgrade and plumb externally (current one using in sump) and am having trouble deciding. Its 3 choices and all will have the neck cleaner and skimmate locker ( have both on my current skimmer and would never go without again)

Regal 300 ext varios.
This skimmer is attractive with its variable speed so I can easily adjust air flow to skimmer to change with nutrient levels, but its rated 450 heavy..

SRO 6000 EXT
This one has bubble blaster which I know is tried and true, I've also heard due to AC pumps consistency they are better for skimmers..(true?) The pump uses 5 less watts and draws more air, but leave all controllability on to how much water you pump in or gate valve control. This skimmer rated 550-600g heavy...

SRO 8000 ext
This bad boy is monstrous (possible fitment issues by 1/4 inch but I'm sure I could make that up somewhere) this one has a big jump in price as its ~700 more than the other two but I've seen one in person (on smaller system too) and it was impressive, yet MASSIVE. Again, ac power for recirc pump.. Its rated 800g heavy.

Coralvue said "sizing" is based on display, but BRS says its total volume. With having 90g fuge that's gunna reduce load on skimmer too. My belief for filtrarion relies heavily on nature doing it (macros/liverock) and that skimmer picks up slack. I'm just a "buy once, cry once" kind of guy so wanna make sure I have enough skimmer to last the next 10 years.

A last question is the outlet pipe of skimmer, can I make that say 3 inches taller or would that impede performance? Reason being is where skimmer goes I'd need the exit pipe (one w gate valve) to be turned and over the feed intake. Imagine the gate valve being 3 inches higher and then pipe coming sideways instead of "straight out" as shown in retail pics.

Thanks In advance. Hope to hear from some ppl with large setups like me
20191003_211045.jpg
20190916_213254.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
SRO 6000 EXT
Smaller equivalent of what I have on my 660g tank and keeps up well.

Zohar78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Coralvue said "sizing" is based on display, but BRS says its total volume. "
that does sound a little tricky but when you think about it, it sounds like total volume is the way to go. if you didnt have the large sump, and large fuge, would you stock as much fish int he display tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would agree on display size

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with overall water volume, The SRO have the bubble blaster pumps which I have ran for years with little maintenance and great continuous performance.

OP
OP
Mshort03

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the replies. I know there are other good skimmers out there but I've always had reef octopus and so I'd like to keep on that path. I think I'm leaning towards the 6000 ext, the 90g fuge and 800lbs rock total I feel offsets some of what the skimmer would generally have to deal with. Anyone have pictures of their install for plumbing ideas?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sizing by volume, whether display or total system, is just a proxy. A heavily stocked 200 will generate more waste proteins than a lightly stocked 400. Since there’s no easy way to estimate the waste protein production you end up with tank size as a proxy. I have always used 3x display as my starting point. My current system is 400 net display gallons, so I started with skimmers capable to 1,200 gallons.

Currently I’m using an under driven, modified MTC HSA3000. A truly awesome sight that’ll handle 3,000 gallons - but it requires a lot of space and a lot of pump (particularly if properly driven).

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8' 300 display, 125 sump, 90g fuge, 90g LPS/waterchange tank. Currently using an old reef octopus diablo 8" recirculating skimmer. Looking to upgrade and plumb externally (current one using in sump) and am having trouble deciding. Its 3 choices and all will have the neck cleaner and skimmate locker ( have both on my current skimmer and would never go without again)

Regal 300 ext varios.
This skimmer is attractive with its variable speed so I can easily adjust air flow to skimmer to change with nutrient levels, but its rated 450 heavy..

SRO 6000 EXT
This one has bubble blaster which I know is tried and true, I've also heard due to AC pumps consistency they are better for skimmers..(true?) The pump uses 5 less watts and draws more air, but leave all controllability on to how much water you pump in or gate valve control. This skimmer rated 550-600g heavy...

SRO 8000 ext
This bad boy is monstrous (possible fitment issues by 1/4 inch but I'm sure I could make that up somewhere) this one has a big jump in price as its ~700 more than the other two but I've seen one in person (on smaller system too) and it was impressive, yet MASSIVE. Again, ac power for recirc pump.. Its rated 800g heavy.

Coralvue said "sizing" is based on display, but BRS says its total volume. With having 90g fuge that's gunna reduce load on skimmer too. My belief for filtrarion relies heavily on nature doing it (macros/liverock) and that skimmer picks up slack. I'm just a "buy once, cry once" kind of guy so wanna make sure I have enough skimmer to last the next 10 years.

A last question is the outlet pipe of skimmer, can I make that say 3 inches taller or would that impede performance? Reason being is where skimmer goes I'd need the exit pipe (one w gate valve) to be turned and over the feed intake. Imagine the gate valve being 3 inches higher and then pipe coming sideways instead of "straight out" as shown in retail pics.

Thanks In advance. Hope to hear from some ppl with large setups like me

What skimmer did you decide to go with? I am starting a new system that is about 800 gallons and am still looking for a skimmer for it. I had purchased a used MTC Power Pro SS skimmer for it but it was damaged during shipping so it looks like i may not be able to use it. I to want a recirculating skimmer and have been looking at the Regal 300ext and the SRO XP8000ext.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back