6055 battery backup and single controller photocell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tom@HaslettMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 6055 on a single controller w/ the photocell and am considering adding a battery backup. My question is when/if the power goes out will the lack of light to the photocell prohibit the backup from kicking in?

Thanks,
Tom

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the Back-up will keep the controller backed up/powered on but if the photocell does not receive light it will not turn the pump(s) on. I have this same design on my two waveboxes. When I get a chance I am going to run them off of the Apex VDM and get rid of the controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Tom@HaslettMI

Tom@HaslettMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I'll either need to stop using the photocell (I think that's an option) or not bother with the battery back up system. That's a bummer.

Tom

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always keep one of those neon glow sticks on hand, The ones you send your kids out on Halloween with, and if you lost power crack it and tape it to the photocell. Or get a 1W led and figure out a way to run it into the backup. Just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig Borowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the question!

Which controller are you using? If you have it set to use the photocell to trigger night mode, then that mode will continue to be in effect even after power goes out and the battery back-up kicks in.

For what it's worth, we don't suggest using night mode unless there's a reason the aquarium needs to be extra quiet at night. As far as flow and health of the aquarium is concerned, it's better to run the pumps 24/7 with no changes between day and night.

OP
OP
Tom@HaslettMI

Tom@HaslettMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info Craig. I'm a huge fan of Tunze pumps... almost all of the pumps on my 75 gallon are Tunzes (6055, 6045, 9410.04, and 1073.03_A). Eventually I plan to go all Tunze. Anyway, the controller is a 6091, and per your advice I just unplugged the photocell.

Thanks,
Tom

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 48.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back