6095's not quite enough?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my tunze pumps. I may be in the minority here but I do think you could use more flow. Honestly I use two 6105 on my 90 gallon and I feel like I could use more flow. I also have a 5x2x2 150 gallon in my possession I am upgrading to and I was planning on getting two MORE 6105 units (or the jebao equivalent). At minimum I would add two 6095 units in your case. 24” is a fairly wide tank. Too wide for a single powerhead on each end in my opinion. I like to push it toward 100x turnover though

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my tunze pumps. I may be in the minority here but I do think you could use more flow. Honestly I use two 6105 on my 90 gallon and I feel like I could use more flow. I also have a 5x2x2 150 gallon in my possession I am upgrading to and I was planning on getting two MORE 6105 units (or the jebao equivalent). At minimum I would add two 6095 units in your case. 24” is a fairly wide tank. Too wide for a single powerhead on each end in my opinion. I like to push it toward 100x turnover though
I agree, it's just not quite enough, and certainly won't be enough long term when the tank starts to grow in. They just don't seem like they sufficiently handle the dimensions. You can get good flow mid and upper levels, but then flow is sluggish down around the rockwork. Or, you can have it the other way around, but doesn't seem like I can achieve good flow throughout, at all levels. Though, looking at specs for the 6095's vs the 6105's they don't seem that much different, I guess I expected the 6105's to be a bigger step up than they seem to be. At least based on given specs.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it's just not quite enough, and certainly won't be enough long term when the tank starts to grow in. They just don't seem like they sufficiently handle the dimensions. You can get good flow mid and upper levels, but then flow is sluggish down around the rockwork. Or, you can have it the other way around, but doesn't seem like I can achieve good flow throughout, at all levels. Though, looking at specs for the 6095's vs the 6105's they don't seem that much different, I guess I expected the 6105's to be a bigger step up than they seem to be. At least based on given specs.

I intend to run two in the upper portion in the front 1/3 of the tank on the ends pointed at each other, and two more down near the sandbed in the rear 1-3 behind the rock work. That way I can run them at 100% alternating every few minutes to have an ever changing gyre flow. The opposing corners will run at the same time. The bottom pumps will act synergistically with the top pumps to speed the velocity of the gyre and improve flow on the lower rear portion. Occasionally I’ll have them all on at the same time to create massive turbulence and really keep detritus stirred up. Basically front top right and rear low left will be treated as the same pump program wise. They’ll do the exact same thing and vice versa.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check out to get a visual demo of how each pump differs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back