60g breeder or 125g for a mixed reef?

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been wanting to setup my 125g for a while and I just finished moving so it’s finally time to start planning everything.

My issue is that I only plan on staying in this house for 3 years before I move into a more permanent home, I hate moving tanks and moving my 125g the first time made me want to smash it with a hammer lol.

I was originally thinking of grabbing a new 75g instead since it’s only 4ft and should be much easier to move but I saw the aqueon 60g breeder and I love the size!

Should I just bite the bullet and move my 125g over and have 6ft of corals or grab a new 60g breeder and save myself in 3 years when I tear it down?

I know I want my 125g but I don’t know if I’m rushing this and I should wait till I’m more settled or if having it for 3 years and tearing down is a good idea.

Thank you!

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 125g tank is a fairly standard size. Its a size that there always seems to be someone out there looking to sell.

That said, there is a significant difference in what you can do with a 6ft tank versus the smaller tanks.

OP
OP
SaltyCabbage

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 125g tank is a fairly standard size. Its a size that there always seems to be someone out there looking to sell.

That said, there is a significant difference in what you can do with a 6ft tank versus the smaller tanks.

I definitely felt the difference with the 125 when I first got it, nothing bigger than a 40b before that lol.

I just don’t know if it’s worth it to set the large tank up now for such a short amount of time, or set a smaller tank up now and move everything to the 125 when I move again in 3 years.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you move, do you break it down and take all the rock and livestock with you or do you break it down, get rid of it, and start over in the new place?
If you take the livestock with you, I'd definitely go with a smaller setup now and save the larger one for later.

OP
OP
SaltyCabbage

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you move, do you break it down and take all the rock and livestock with you or do you break it down, get rid of it, and start over in the new place?
If you take the livestock with you, I'd definitely go with a smaller setup now and save the larger one for later.

I’ll most likely take everything with me, definitely all the livestock and a good chunk of rock. I just finished moving around 30lbs of rock and some fish so doubling that shouldn’t be too bad.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back