6208 Wavebox Clicking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gerards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6208 wavebox that I purchased about a year ago that I just got around to putting in my frag tank and it is making a loud clicking noise when the pump cycles off and on. Any ideas on how to make the clicking stop?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most probable would be that the pump has disassembled so the front housing is not attached to the motor any longer. This is very common in shipping. You just need to open it and reattach the motor to the front housing. Other possibilities would be that the disk is worn or compressed (not likely as it sounds like it is being installed for the first time) or the drive unit is stiff/tight fitting and needs time to wear in so it moves smoothly instead of jerkily up and down on start up.

OP
OP
gerards_reef

gerards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the housing and it is attached correctly. I ran the pump out wavebox and it is the pump itself that is making the clicking noise.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, it is one of these two-

The propeller is the wrong one or defective, this can be checked by holding the magnet portion in one hand and turning the blade in the other, it should turn stiffly 270 degrees before hitting a hard stop. By stiffly, I mean you would have to turn it and water drag or blowing on it alone could not easily turn it. The AC model pumps need one that turns freely to start, DC should be stiff.

The disk 6055.740 that sits down in the pump at the base of the shaft is missing, it can fall out when the pump is disassembled, it is a black plastic disk the diameter of a pencil eraser and it rests in a blue silicon rubber cup.

Check this and I can send the part you need.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you pm me you shipping info and place and date of purchase?

OP
OP
gerards_reef

gerards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the new propeller and the wavebox is nearly silent now! Customer service like this is why I only purchase Tunze pumps for my systems!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back