Ver.2.0
Ver.2.0.jpg

(May '09-Aug. '11)
Reason for demise: Copper Poisoning.

Ver.3.0
Ver.3.0.jpg

(Oct' '12-Sept. '13)
Reason for demise: Aesthetics, Cyano.

My least favorite build. And even had it not been for the outbreak (more on this later), I would've eventually reworked it anyway. Lesson learned here is that minimalism doesn't go well with very large tanks; either that or I totally suck at minimalism with very large tanks. Anyway, my current set-up is pretty much just adding a lot more rock to ver.3. Nevertheless, it took quite some time as I put this additional rock through it's 'Cooking in Sea Klear' regimen until the PO4 meter read 0 (which did not work, btw), and a four month interruption due to rotator cuff surgery.

This is about when the PO4 that I thought I'd gotten rid of returned with a vengeance. Even if it spread from the rocks I had already had in the tank, I thought the new stuff was clean enough to resist the invasion. But it wasn't, and it was bad. At it's height, it was actually overtaking and killing the otherwise viable frags that I had recently mounted. Soon, I couldn't even see the rocks anymore due to this plaque which lasted several months. I tried every conventional method of eradication of course, and as much as I dislike going the chemical route to solve an issue, I was one tick away from doing the peroxide thing when Tony Vargas suggested I try sea urchins (both Diadema setosum and Mespilia globulus). I also threw in some Trochus Snails for good measure and in a few months, it was gone. Completely. So now, with both the tank and my shoulder healed, I finally laid in the remaining frags. And now, without further ado, I present version 4.0; my display tank as we speak:

Ver.4.0.jpg

(Aug. '14-present)

Not too bad, right? Of course, I'm still at the adolescent stage here and most of my smaller frags are still dormant and earth toned but when things begin to fill in, I think I'm going to like this version best. Parameters are very stable, and available on request. Questions and comments welcomed. See you at MACNA.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back