65 Gallon Build

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all!

I just picked up a 65 gallon with stand, sump, skimmer, return pump, light (more details below). The tank has been emptied about 2-3 weeks ago but sand and rock is still there. I will list what came with along with a few questions! I plan on doing a reef tank with mainly relatively easy coral, Monti, Zoas, GSP, mushrooms. Probably should have mentioned before but I had a 220 gallon reef and a 90 gallon reef in the past. Currently have a Fluval Evo 13.5 gallon that is keeping the corals mentioned above.
  • 65 Gallon Tank (36"L x 18"D x 24"T)
  • Sicce 2500GPH return pump
  • Sicce 2000GPH wave maker
  • Stand
  • Some $80 Amazon light
  • Sand
  • Rock
  • Pro Clear Aquatics wet/dry sump
  • Pro Clear Aquatics protein skimmer
  • Mesh tops
I will be adding an ATO, no need for heater where I am, UV Sterilizer, new light, refugium.

So my questions:
  • The sand/rock is about a year old in that tank, should I replace it after sitting dry for three weeks or just recycle it?
  • I think pumps are strong enough, thoguhts?
  • Any preference on lights, uv sterilizer, ATO, or any other updates? (I prefer the lights sit on just above the mesh top rather than the Prime style stand for it.
Any and all advice, thoughts, preferences are welcomed!!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you thoroughly rinse/clean the sand it should be fine (especially if it's been sitting dry for three weeks). But this is also an opportunity to replace it with something else for aesthetic or habitat reasons (certain fish and inverts prefer tiny grains of substrate as they filter it).

The pump and powerhead should be fine - but the exact models would help (with rising electrical costs it might be worth upgrading to a DC return pump if it's an AC version).

Tunze is coming out with a new Osmolator (hopefully soon). AquaUV makes a good/reliable/cost effective UV - probably an Advantage 2000+ would work well. Lights I'd look at a pair of AI Prime 16HD with either mount (trust me - you'll want them much higher than the mesh top for maintenance).

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you thoroughly rinse/clean the sand it should be fine (especially if it's been sitting dry for three weeks). But this is also an opportunity to replace it with something else for aesthetic or habitat reasons (certain fish and inverts prefer tiny grains of substrate as they filter it).

The pump and powerhead should be fine - but the exact models would help (with rising electrical costs it might be worth upgrading to a DC return pump if it's an AC version).

Tunze is coming out with a new Osmolator (hopefully soon). AquaUV makes a good/reliable/cost effective UV - probably an Advantage 2000+ would work well. Lights I'd look at a pair of AI Prime 16HD with either mount (trust me - you'll want them much higher than the mesh top for maintenance).
I appreciate it, the AI Primes really are the real deal huh?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it, the AI Primes really are the real deal huh?
The EcoTech Radion XR15 Blues would be the ones I'd really get, but you can buy a pair of AI Prime 16HDs for less than the cost of a single XR15...

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
05A032C4-D460-4C1E-A336-38CAAAC8C77F.jpeg
D062FD75-7B90-4F41-8D88-CF144A6EF337.jpeg

Finally got the stand built, primed, painted to match kitchen cabinets and ready to roll. Tank is one year old, was empty on pick up. I have cleaned everything out. Selling old sump and skimmer, ordered a Bashsea 26x10x14 Rimless Refugium sump, Reef Octopus space saver 110 skimmer, 250watt heater (not really neccesary in south florida), BRS dual reactor for carbon and GFO, UB sterilizer I’ll add when needed. thinking inside on incoming side. still undecided on lights but liking AI Primes. Dual 16s, 32s, or a will a single 64 suffice? will be mainly zoas, RFAs, easy GSP, Xenia, some montis/chalice. thoughts on anything and everything anyone? Always wanting to learn more and get better!

Attachments

• A4847570-BA65-4FC8-BD2C-244BA8B90660.jpeg
    A4847570-BA65-4FC8-BD2C-244BA8B90660.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
05A032C4-D460-4C1E-A336-38CAAAC8C77F.jpeg
D062FD75-7B90-4F41-8D88-CF144A6EF337.jpeg

Finally got the stand built, primed, painted to match kitchen cabinets and ready to roll. Tank is one year old, was empty on pick up. I have cleaned everything out. Selling old sump and skimmer, ordered a Bashsea 26x10x14 Rimless Refugium sump, Reef Octopus space saver 110 skimmer, 250watt heater (not really neccesary in south florida), BRS dual reactor for carbon and GFO, UB sterilizer I’ll add when needed. thinking inside on incoming side. still undecided on lights but liking AI Primes. Dual 16s, 32s, or a will a single 64 suffice? will be mainly zoas, RFAs, easy GSP, Xenia, some montis/chalice. thoughts on anything and everything anyone? Always wanting to learn more and get better!
Should probably mention I have 100 pounds of Samoa Pink sand (Chewy double shipped snd told me to keep, so i’ll use what’s needed and sell rest), about 30 pounds of live rock been dry a month or longer and adding 20-30 pounds of live rock. Was going to dose ARC Reef Coraline Algae just to get that going. I am not moving fast with this tank. Do not want to add any coral or fish for at least 90 days. Any thoughts on filtration given what I have during cycle and when to add refugium Cheato, UV, etc?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your tank is tall, I would really suggest better lights. The inexpensive Amazon ones, do not have the penetration power you are going to want. I don't recall you saying if you plan a FOWLR of a reef tank? If you are going reef, then you for sure will be unhappy with inexpensive Amazon choices. I personally have gone through 3 different Amazon light setups on my 55g which is 4 inches shorter than yours and finally settled on a pair of Kessil a360x's with one Wills 165 as a supplement. The Kessil lights are the first "high-end" lights I have had so I can't speak for any others, but in the 2 weeks I have had them I can absolutely see the difference in my tank.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your tank is tall, I would really suggest better lights. The inexpensive Amazon ones, do not have the penetration power you are going to want. I don't recall you saying if you plan a FOWLR of a reef tank? If you are going reef, then you for sure will be unhappy with inexpensive Amazon choices. I personally have gone through 3 different Amazon light setups on my 55g which is 4 inches shorter than yours and finally settled on a pair of Kessil a360x's with one Wills 165 as a supplement. The Kessil lights are the first "high-end" lights I have had so I can't speak for any others, but in the 2 weeks I have had them I can absolutely see the difference in my tank.
Definitely want to stay away from cheap Amazon lights. It came with one and I do not even want to put it up, just sell it. I was looking at a pair of AI prime 16s, or pair of 32s, but if the 16s will do i’ll settle there, not trying to go cheap but not trying to break the bank! Also considering one 64HD but just wondering if one 64 will do the job of two 32s or two 16s since it’s essentially four 16hds stationed on one 1 wide bracket

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely want to stay away from cheap Amazon lights. It came with one and I do not even want to put it up, just sell it. I was looking at a pair of AI prime 16s, or pair of 32s, but if the 16s will do i’ll settle there, not trying to go cheap but not trying to break the bank! Also considering one 64HD but just wondering if one 64 will do the job of two 32s or two 16s since it’s essentially four 16hds stationed on one 1 wide bracket
12”‘ wide bracket sorry**

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I have no prior experience with other lights than the ones I have used, I wonder though if a center mounted setup will provide the coverage that a twin lamp setup would. I think it would create dark zones at the edges of the tank..

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I have no prior experience with other lights than the ones I have used, I wonder though if a center mounted setup will provide the coverage that a twin lamp setup would. I think it would create dark zones at the edges of the tank..
i agree, it appears normally a pair of 16s or 32s if you’re going for all types of coral. one 64 probably will diminish light on the edges but i’m just looking for anyone with expired xs, seems hard to find! I am looking into your lights now. Any pictures of the light setup on your 75?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see from the pictures, I went with the gooseneck mounting arms over the 90* brackets. I did this to save about $70.. In retrospect, I wish I had spent the extra money. I think they would look cleaner and do a better job of hiding the cords.

This is the setup I got:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back