65 gallon display with basement sump

Sixty7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the stand is pretty basic. all dimensional lumber was squared up, glued and screwed. Then 3/4 finished plywood to cover. I will not be putting a bottom shelf in the stand. This will be put on hardwood floors and I want to be able to get at any spills and not let water sit under the stand for any length of time.

stand1.jpg stand2.jpg stand3.jpg stand7.jpg

OP
OP
Sixty7x

Sixty7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next up is the door, decorative trim and set temporarily in place so i could measure how far out of level the tank would be.The floor was out about 1/2" from low corner to high corner. I made the feet according to the measurements so I could limit the amount of shims I might need during final setup. I didn't want adjustable feet because I think i would be tempted to adjust them after it was full and that to me sounds like it could spell disaster.

stand:tank1.jpg stand4.jpg stand5.jpg stand6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sixty7x

Sixty7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 50 gallon that I'll be using for a refugium/extra space. I'm thinking about draining tank into refugium and a separate equipment sump. Then overflow refugium into equipment sump to return to tank. The reason for this is because my display is small and i do like the visual of all the critters in the refugium. The added volume of water will certainly help.

sump1.jpg

OP
OP
Sixty7x

Sixty7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Our systems have a few similarities.
right now my system is just a thought. very fluid and open. I'm not trying to make it perfect, but I'm certainly trying to think about all the things I'd like and keep it relatively simple.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to ask at this stage - but why such a small door? I fear it'll make sump & equipment access difficult. And having a bottom shelf that is reasonably water proofed would help keep minor internal spills off the flooring. I put a cork 'gasket' around the bottom of my stand to keep external spills from leaching under the stand. But my floor is perfectly level and smooth - no need to shim.

OP
OP
Sixty7x

Sixty7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to ask at this stage - but why such a small door? I fear it'll make sump & equipment access difficult. And having a bottom shelf that is reasonably water proofed would help keep minor internal spills off the flooring. I put a cork 'gasket' around the bottom of my stand to keep external spills from leaching under the stand. But my floor is perfectly level and smooth - no need to shim.
most of the equipment will be going in the basement. no need to access under the tank.

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love seeing another 65g! I will be following along as I am thinking of moving my sump to the basement as well.
looks like a great start!

OP
OP
Sixty7x

Sixty7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Our systems have a few similarities.
went and checked out your build and I see what you mean. I would love a larger display, but our house is so small and with a toddler and 2 dogs things get crazy tight

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a sucker for a peninsula, I'm signing up to watch this one come together. Looks great so far. I'm just a little jealous since you get to have your equipment in the basement.

OP
OP
Sixty7x

Sixty7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the stand finished and in place. I've got a piece of 3/4" plywood that is going to go underneath the tank so I can level it on the stand. It had about 1/16" rocking from corner to corner and my plan is to place shims under the plywood and screw the plywood down. I don't know if the tank is out of square or the stand(my guess is the stand). Either way I don't want to exert any pressure on the tank that isn't needed. I've got some finishing to do in my house (look at the corner near the stand). That has been my hold up for the last few months. I'm going to move forward with drilling the tank, setting up the sump and the plumbing.

finish1.jpg finish2.jpg finish3.jpg

OP
OP
Sixty7x

Sixty7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally drilled the tank for the eshopps M overflow. took some time, but almost no chips on the glass from breaking through and it fits as tight as it can up against the trim. The plywood will be going under the tank and after a few coats of primer and paint I came up with an idea. I channeled out a few grooves and drilled a 1 3/8" hole where they intersect. Once everything is shimmed and in place I will caulk all seams. This by no means is a water tight piece, but after paint and caulk I'm thinking in an emergency (leak) the channels may direct water to the hole where I can plumb a drain or place a bucket. It may work, it may not. I just thought it was worth a chance to potentially save my hardwood floor.

overflow1.jpg overflow2.jpg tankbase1.jpg tankbase2.jpg

OP
OP
Sixty7x

Sixty7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the plywood base painted, shimmed and screwed down. Tank back on stand to see how lucky I got with the shims. This tank was rocking from corner to corner about 1/16". I shimmed starting from each low corner out. I used thin aluminum flashing and cut to fit. I almost nailed it first try. Tank needs to come back out and a few more shims added. Once I feel good about the level I'll caulk the entire perimeter of the plywood base and all screw heads.

base1.jpg TS1.jpg TS2.jpg TS3.jpg

OP
OP
Sixty7x

Sixty7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have changed....for the better. I've decided to remove an old oil tank in my basement which will locate my sump much closer to DT. Until this is completed I will not be able to move ahead with much else. Couldn't help myself and picked up a pair of percula clowns. They are currently in QT and I've set up an old 20 gallon where they can live until the 65 is up and running. I do not want to rush setting up my aquarium so I'm taking my time, but it's hard doing all this reading and information gathering and not have anything to feed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sixty7x

Sixty7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 20 gallon "apartment" or "starter home" has been up and running for some time now. We went through our first set of quarantines with the 2 clowns, a cleaner shrimp and now this little RBTA. Everything currently seems happy, healthy and we are enjoying looking at some aquatic life in the home after 10+ years of being dry. The 65 gallon just needs to wait. I refuse to rush it and compromise because I just want it done. It's nice having a smaller tank setup. It lets us feel like we're in the hobby and we leave the 65 setup in the living room to remind us of a bigger goal.

IMG_6060.jpeg

OP
OP
Sixty7x

Sixty7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, soooo a couple of changes. Project was put on hold due to ......LIFE...... Key word here is "hold". Things are still happening and we have the goal of a larger system but for now it's a 40 breeder.

40w:hood side.jpeg 40w:hoodF.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back