65 gallon stocking ideas!! tell me some cool fish!!

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all! I sadly had to rehome my gorgeous coral beauty angel because she started nipping my acros. I'm looking for another centerpiece fish for my aquarium. My tank is a 65 gallon tall tank (3ft wide) so I want unique fish since I dont have very much space for a lot of fish. It has to be 100% reef safe and can happily live its entire life in my aquarium. I dont like to buy large fish then rehome later. It also must be able to eat very other day like the rest of my fish. feeding 2-3 times per day is not an option for me. I really love wrasses and im looking for one large bodied fish for my centerpiece. I would love to see some unique suggestions!

current stock list:
2 cinnamon clowns
1 skeletor eel
1 peppermint shrimp

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I setup an automatic feeder with pellets or do they need mostly frozen food?
Yeah, pellet can work - I do such myself for one of the feedings each day.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, pellet can work - I do such myself for one of the feedings each day.
ah thank you! may I ask what auto feeder you use? and any wrasses you think would work well in my aquarium? I especially love the golden rhomboidalis wrasse. do you think my tank is too small for them to thrive?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may I ask what auto feeder you use?
I've used Neptune's AFS tied into my Apex for quite a while. Eheim makes a stand-alone that works well.
and any wrasses you think would work well in my aquarium?
There's dozens of suitable choices. You'll have to set your budget, find out which species appeal to you, and then find what species are actually available for purchase in the near term.
I especially love the golden rhomboidalis wrasse. do you think my tank is too small for them to thrive?
Unfortunately, that is a bit small for my liking. It might be okay, but certainly a bit cramped.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Neptune's AFS tied into my Apex for quite a while. Eheim makes a stand-alone that works well.

There's dozens of suitable choices. You'll have to set your budget, find out which species appeal to you, and then find what species are actually available for purchase in the near term.

Unfortunately, that is a bit small for my liking. It might be okay, but certainly a bit cramped.

thank you very much for your suggestions! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I have the Eheim auto feeder, so I could use that. My only problem is I have a canopy on my tank so I don't have a good place to clamp it (thats why I stopped using it).

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stick with wrasse that tend to max out around 4" in that tank profile. I had a c. lubbocki in one and that fish looked about the perfect max size for a 3 foot tank.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eel makes me wary as they can turn on fish at random. Someone else on here had an Eel take a big gash out of their Melanurus Wrasse in the last few days. Personally I don't feel that eels are good community tank mates and are better suited to dedicated predator type setups.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a pebble tooth eel. ive had these kind for 5+ years and know a lot about them. only fanged eels will turn on fish. Pebble tooth eels do not have the teeth to catch them. I agree that other eels would indeed limit my fish options. :)

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a bicolor blenny they are fun to watch. I’ve had my RSM130d for 7 years still have my original 2 clowns royal gamma and dottyback. Had a wrasse lasted a year and disappeared. Never had any issues w other fish am thinking maybe he was old to begin with. Pistol shrimp and gobbies are nice but the pistol tends to go after fish and cleaning crew. I feed every day sometimes every other day. Post a pic of your tank

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6029.JPG

thanks for the recommendation @KillerKlownFish. I do like those Bicolor blennies! here is a pic of my tank as requested. I have added more rock and coral since this pic, its a few weeks old.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#MODS please close.

didn't realize this was still up. I have upgraded to a new tank now. if any one is interested in seeing it, check out my build thread in my recent threads!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back