OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strong light + long photoperiod + fresh substrate = always the same result :) My diatoms are flourishing :D:D:D

P1240231.JPG

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Herbie overflow was driving me nuts, so I have converted it's emergency drain to BeanAnimal open channel.

This water trickling can be really loud if your reef and your bed is just 4 feet apart :)

P.S. By the way, it's DIY version of Aqua Medic outlet strainer here in the center. Couldn't justify spending $15 for a real one.

P1240255.JPG

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is looking hopeless :) This tiny patch of chaeto I started with is way to small to over-compete cyanos. So, I made some additions.

Water flow through fuge section was very slow, it was virtually still water. So, I've installed additional powerhead, specifically for chato. Now it should be harder for cyano to cover things and stay in place. Strong surface agitation should also help with gas exchange, making airborne CO2 easily available for chaeto.

Also, I've got some new players for chaeto team to make the game less unfair :)

My nitrates are still ~50ppm.

P1240246.JPG

P1240280.JPG

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water was getting more and more cloudy, so I've made ~60% water change, siphoning out all cyano and detritus I could spot and reach.

I'd like to use Red Sea Coral Pro because of elevated levels of kH and calcium. It's not the best choice for Ukraine though since it is rarely available here :(

So, here's the situation. My water is still quite cloudy, nitrate is around 25ppm, skimmer won't be here until mid August and I ran out of salt. Seems I should stop overfeeding for a while :)

P1240298.JPG

Last edited:

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop over feeding for sure with no skimmer and no more salt. Your fuge will be able to pick up the slack if you slack off on the feeding.

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop over feeding for sure with no skimmer and no more salt. Your fuge will be able to pick up the slack if you slack off on the feeding.

Right now my fuge is kinda useless. Chaeto is still acclimatizing and often covered with cyano, so I don't expect it to grow rapidly.

So yes, no overfeeding :)

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will regret it most likely, but I'm starting to build a DIY T5 fixture for my tank. Nothing wrong with the fixture itself, it's all about availability.

It took me a week to find some decent reflectors and I still have to shorten them all (couldn't find the right size). High quality ballasts are rare. No bulbs available, have to order them directly from Poland :(

LEDs are everywhere, no oldschool stuff for sale :( No matter, I've started.

These are fancy-shaped aluminium reflectors from Dennerle, a German company that specializes in growing freshwater plants. Pretty sure, the best reflectors I could get.

P1240325.JPG

P1240307.JPG

P1240322.JPG

Last edited:

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful about that sump. While it holds water now, those seams are weak and over time the joints may become brittle and you will get small fractures in the joints. With all those gaps, water will definitely find a path out.

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful about that sump. While it holds water now, those seams are weak and over time the joints may become brittle and you will get small fractures in the joints. With all those gaps, water will definitely find a path out.

Yeah, I have already made a decision to replace it with a glass one in few months. Don't have spare $100 just now, there's just too much else to buy.

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the wooden frame of my future T5 fixture. Approx. 38x17x3", designed for six 39W ATI bulbs. No supplemental LEDs until I'll be sure I need it.

Now I need some varnish :)

P1240356.JPG

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current FTS.

All cyano is gone since last FTS (none of chems used). Still have some in sump though. Fish are doing fine. Tuxedo urchin is doing great job cleaning rocks from algae, whole last week or two he was working on the right one :)

A few weeks ago I have added some easy corals, just to see what will happen. Duncan, GSP and yellow zoas. As you can see, they still don't do well. I'm not sure why, but it might be temperature. It doesn't really matter because I won't be fixing anything for now. It is what it is, I'm just observing.

My skimmer arrives in two days, lighting should be done in two weeks. My current goal is to be ready for corals in September.

P.S. Nitrates are still 25ppm.

P1240369.JPG

P1240392.JPG

P1240393.JPG

P1240378.JPG

P1240383.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I've made my DIY T5 fixure.

It cost me less than $230 w/o bulbs, while original ATI Sun Power would be $550 shipped from Germany. With no guarantee, spare parts nor service (no ATI partners in Ukraine) and near-zero chances for reselling (no one needs T5 here, too pricey for Ukraine anyway).

So, frame is made of the cheapest pine plank I've found. Dimensions are 20x80mm (approx. 3/4 x 3"). Six coats of hardwood floor varnish applied. This fixture will be incorporated into canopy some day, so it doesn't have to be fancy.

P1240876.JPG

Aluminium rails for acrylic splash guard installed.

P1240880.JPG

P1240883.JPG

Same rails are used to hold waterproof G5 sockets in place.

P1240886.JPG

P1240887.JPG

P1240890.JPG

Six ATI 39W bulbs installed along with aluminium Dennerle Power Reflectors.

P1240892.JPG

P1240897.JPG

P1240898.JPG

Three Vossloh Schwabe ELXc 240.863 ballasts are used.

P1240906.JPG

P1240908.JPG

Finally, the wiring is done.

P1240913.JPG

120mm fan and a lid will be added later, if needed. But for now, I'm considering it done :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back