70g DIY Peninsula 40x20x20"

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I've made my DIY T5 fixure.

It cost me less than $230 w/o bulbs, while original ATI Sun Power would be $550 shipped from Germany. With no guarantee, spare parts nor service (no ATI partners in Ukraine) and near-zero chances for reselling (no one needs T5 here, too pricey for Ukraine anyway).

So, frame is made of the cheapest pine plank I've found. Dimensions are 20x80mm (approx. 3/4 x 3"). Six coats of hardwood floor varnish applied. This fixture will be incorporated into canopy some day, so it doesn't have to be fancy.

P1240876.JPG

Aluminium rails for acrylic splash guard installed.

P1240880.JPG

P1240883.JPG

Same rails are used to hold waterproof G5 sockets in place.

P1240886.JPG

P1240887.JPG

P1240890.JPG

Six ATI 39W bulbs installed along with aluminium Dennerle Power Reflectors.

P1240892.JPG

P1240897.JPG

P1240898.JPG

Three Vossloh Schwabe ELXc 240.863 ballasts are used.

P1240906.JPG

P1240908.JPG

Finally, the wiring is done.

P1240913.JPG

120mm fan and a lid will be added later, if needed. But for now, I'm considering it done :)

Wow! Nicely done!

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've been to vacation for a week, first time for last five years I wasn't ready to leave my tank unchecked for such a long time, so I was expecting some... complications. DIY ATO with cheap glitchy switch that ALWAYS stucks ON, new skimmer, new lights, no tank sitter, no controller, no auto-feeder.. Things happens, you know

My nitrates were still at ~20ppm, so I did 25% water change, cleaned everyting and leave the house hoping for the best. By the way, I'm still running just two of six 39W bulbs I have.

So, here is how tank is looking now:

P1250569.JPG

With this new, much powerful lighting, lots of nutrients and no herbivores, I was actually expecting some GHA growth. What I didn't expect is my new nitrate readings According to Salifert testkit I do trust, my nitrates are at absolute zero now Sure, all my nutrients aren't gone forever, it just were assimilated by algae. Still, it's good news for me :)

My fish and inverts look fine after a week without food, no loses fortunately. Corals are ok too. In fact, my kH has dropped to 8 from 11 (API), so I must have something growing besides GHA and cyano :)

I have nothing against GHA in display and won't treat it with peroxide or something like that. My only concern is that GHA is going to outgrow and kill chaeto ASAP. The fuge is actually looking quite poor at the moment

Will see.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great progress on your build. Definitely I like your rock work, simple and well placed. About the ATO, I really like the gravity ATO I made because I don't need to deal with any power problem. You are doing a great job on your tank.
MR BEAN 2.jpg

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my DIY ATO. Cheap unreliable stuff, don't trust that thing one bit, so I have to back it up with a timer.

Still, don't want to invest into Tunze Osmolator since I will inevitable buy GHL Profilux that will go with it's own ATO unit. Looks like a waste of money to me.

BTW, here is a vacation-horror-story related to my ATO that didn't happen :) Just before I left home going abroad two weeks ago, I decided to check everything one more time. And guess what? ATO pump was unplugged! Have no idea how and when I unplug it that morning, pretty sure it was working last night!

Weird stuff happens in this hobby when least expected :)

P1250607.JPG

P1250602.JPG
unreliable

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've started to add corals, finally. Easy ones for now.

Green and purple s. caliendrum, pink hystrix (looks white but it's alive), red digitata, frogspawn, hammer (behind duncan), green caulastrea and elegance.

Not sure why, but my tank was extremely cloudy at the time and stank really, really bad. Had to clean it well with 50% WC, scraping GHA and cleaning chaeto from debris.

Everything is so much better now. Here are before and after photos.

P1250741.jpg

P1250762.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth, I just added a bunch of Turbo snails and added more Trochus snails and my hair algae (and others) were much diminished within a week. I went from 6 snails to 14 in a 45 gallon and it did wonders.

EDIT: some of those are Cerith snails as well.

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth, I just added a bunch of Turbo snails and added more Trochus snails and my hair algae (and others) were much diminished within a week. I went from 6 snails to 14 in a 45 gallon and it did wonders.

Yeah, I definitely should add some snails too. I have some, and they really do wonders as fast as they can :)

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm finally growing some stony corals, my calcium and alkalinity have to be renewed somehow.

I'd be happy to buy a GHL Doser and dose two-part, but it's too pricey for me. Anyway, I'm going to invest into a Profilux 4 first. And then, someday, will buy Doser 2.0.

Meanwhile, I will dose manually. That's why I decided to try all-in-one powder from Red Sea. It's waaaay easier to dose a spoon of powder daily than to do the same with FIVE different liquids.

So, I'm using this powder for last two weeks and it seems to work as expected. Aprox. 2ml of this stuff daily keeps my kH at 9.3-9.5 and calcium in 450-460 range. Good enough, I'd say :)

P1260291.JPG

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a QT for new Kole Tang I've ordered. That's a used 8g tank I've bought for $10 for whole setup (tank, filter, heater etc).

I probably have ich in my DT since first fish added. It's not that fun, so I don't want to add velvet or something else.

P81025-172359.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back