72 Gallon Bowfront DIY Stand

David77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to build a stand with no center support. Instead of building the front to contour with the tank I was planning to build a box slightly bigger than the tank. What size lumber must I use? It's a 72 gallon bowfront glass tank

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your missing some information.

Wood type.
Design/layout/dimensions

My 60g bowfrunt is built with 2x4s, if you have the room I would do that.

I have built a 8x8 shed with a clay barrel roof, out of 2x3s, but that weight is distributed over 8ftx8ft

It’s all about being plumb. Wood can take a lot of weight as long as it’s straight up and down. But again, how many studs, how far apart, etc.

OP
OP
David77

David77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your missing some information.

Wood type.
Design/layout/dimensions

My 60g bowfrunt is built with 2x4s, if you have the room I would do that.

I have built a 8x8 shed with a clay barrel roof, out of 2x3s, but that weight is distributed over 8ftx8ft

It’s all about being plumb. Wood can take a lot of weight as long as it’s straight up and down. But again, how many studs, how far apart, etc.

I'm thinking 50" wide x 21" deep 36-44" tall.

I was thinking 2 2x6 long braces for the top and 2x6 legs 2 for.each corner at 90s

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking 50" wide x 21" deep 36-44" tall.

I was thinking 2 2x6 long braces for the top and 2x6 legs 2 for.each corner at 90s
Yea that will hold it. Personally, I think the 2x6 is overkill for the studs, but a good idea for the brace. Your probably going to need center studs back and front, since your going to have about 39” of unsupported run. Would hate for it to warp on you, running some blocks through the center will help with this.

Also, make sure the 2 by 6 is running under the front edge of the bow, so it’s supported. This is where I would add the center stud.

If your a wood worker great, if not, and just a kinda a DIYer. Make sure to look up some designs on how to place the studs with the top supports. So that’s it’s actually supporting the tank. Would hate for you to run the studs on the inside/outsides of the top support or something, rendering them useless.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your dead set on not putting a center support stud in the middle, I do think you can get away with it just fine with 6x2s, but at least add one to the back. I would 100% add a block to the middle though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back