72 Gallon Bowfront DIY Stand

  • Thread starter Thread starter David77
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

David77

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2018
Messages
5
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
Arkansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to build a stand with no center support. Instead of building the front to contour with the tank I was planning to build a box slightly bigger than the tank. What size lumber must I use? It's a 72 gallon bowfront glass tank
 
Your missing some information.

Wood type.
Design/layout/dimensions

My 60g bowfrunt is built with 2x4s, if you have the room I would do that.

I have built a 8x8 shed with a clay barrel roof, out of 2x3s, but that weight is distributed over 8ftx8ft

It’s all about being plumb. Wood can take a lot of weight as long as it’s straight up and down. But again, how many studs, how far apart, etc.
 
Your missing some information.

Wood type.
Design/layout/dimensions

My 60g bowfrunt is built with 2x4s, if you have the room I would do that.

I have built a 8x8 shed with a clay barrel roof, out of 2x3s, but that weight is distributed over 8ftx8ft

It’s all about being plumb. Wood can take a lot of weight as long as it’s straight up and down. But again, how many studs, how far apart, etc.

I'm thinking 50" wide x 21" deep 36-44" tall.

I was thinking 2 2x6 long braces for the top and 2x6 legs 2 for.each corner at 90s
 
I'm thinking 50" wide x 21" deep 36-44" tall.

I was thinking 2 2x6 long braces for the top and 2x6 legs 2 for.each corner at 90s
Yea that will hold it. Personally, I think the 2x6 is overkill for the studs, but a good idea for the brace. Your probably going to need center studs back and front, since your going to have about 39” of unsupported run. Would hate for it to warp on you, running some blocks through the center will help with this.

Also, make sure the 2 by 6 is running under the front edge of the bow, so it’s supported. This is where I would add the center stud.

If your a wood worker great, if not, and just a kinda a DIYer. Make sure to look up some designs on how to place the studs with the top supports. So that’s it’s actually supporting the tank. Would hate for you to run the studs on the inside/outsides of the top support or something, rendering them useless.
 
If your dead set on not putting a center support stud in the middle, I do think you can get away with it just fine with 6x2s, but at least add one to the back. I would 100% add a block to the middle though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new