75 Gal reef with Red Sea salt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my results. I change 10 gallons every 2 weeks. This test was captured right before water change day. I use BRS kalk and 23ml on vinegar a day on this tank. Currently running GFO and carbon with a reactor, but judging from this I'm going to pull the GFO or add about 5 Chromis to the tank to boost nutrients a bit, although I do have some algae in the tank and my macro algae grows quite well...

Let me know if you have any further questions

triton#1-page-001.jpg
triton#1-page-002.jpg

OP
OP
swk

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone's curious here are some tests I took from the same sample.

This is with Red Sea kits.

Ca430
Mag 1320
Po4 .03

Hanna po4 standard checker always reads 0.00

I think most of my remaining sps issues are due to low nutrients. Things improved a lot after I changed lighting at the beginning of sept, and I'm also gonna look closer at flow

Nevil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I have similar set up and use RSCP salt. How often do you do water changes? How much at a time do u change out?

OP
OP
swk

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for some of you....

I have removed gfo in an effort to increase nutrients a bit. Will I need to start supplementing iron now? I know no one can say definitively, but speaking in generalities

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron is a very debated topic, similar to Iodine in some ways. It is very quickly consumed by the organisms in a typical reef tank. Too much will lead to huge algae blooms but too little can mean your macro won't grow. Like most other elements I would say if you don't have a problem that can be linked to a deficiency, don't dose it.

Also, if you have any Tridacna clams I would seriously consider the possibility of Iron harming them. Lots of opinion and little research exists regarding the topic but from the hours I've spent reading there seems to be a correlation between Iron and the rapid growth of the Protozoan that causes Pinched mantle. It also remains to be seen if the protozoan remains dormant indefinitely or is "cured" from the host over a period of time.

OP
OP
swk

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your insight!

So far I have added 4 chromis and pulled gfo. Po4 has climbed to .03, so...not much haha. This is per elos pro po4 test kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike iodine, however, iron can have immediate and clear benefits from a single dose. Pale and yellow macroalgae, for example, is sometimes known to turn green and grow faster after a single dose.

The owner of Reef Central, for example, had that result when I suggested it to him.

Last edited:

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone's curious here are some tests I took from the same sample.

This is with Red Sea kits.

Ca430
Mag 1320
Po4 .03

Hanna po4 standard checker always reads 0.00

I think most of my remaining sps issues are due to low nutrients. Things improved a lot after I changed lighting at the beginning of sept, and I'm also gonna look closer at flow

Thanks for sharing those results.

Do you or have you ever ran aluminum based phosphate removers?

Curious about your lighting change too, what did you change to?

OP
OP
swk

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing those results.

Do you or have you ever ran aluminum based phosphate removers?

Curious about your lighting change too, what did you change to?

You bet! It's one of the reasons I wanted to perform a triton test, is to contribute to this dialogue as I think it's very interesting.

I have never ran anything but gfo. And even that is no longer in my system.

I switched from a budget, chinese made led fixture, to ATI dimable t5s. Best thing I've ever done for my tank so far.

Let me know if there's any other info you'd like

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bet! It's one of the reasons I wanted to perform a triton test, is to contribute to this dialogue as I think it's very interesting.

I have never ran anything but gfo. And even that is no longer in my system.

I switched from a budget, chinese made led fixture, to ATI dimable t5s. Best thing I've ever done for my tank so far.

Let me know if there's any other info you'd like

We need a like button in the forum, I like your post and sharing, and response. Thanks!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back