75 gallon fail

Thewrasseman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a 75 gallon tank and started off putting in some puffers then they all died one day out of nowhere then I got some tropical fish who all died off one by one. The I had just a yellow belly hamlet. I bought a wrasse and brought it home and I watched them all day. Then the next day the hamlet was dead some snails were dead and the wrasse was in ruff shape(looks better now). I ran test for ammonia, pH, nitrites, and nitrates. And only the ammonia was high so I bought some ammonia fixer. There was also this like pink algae I’ve never seen before. I just need some help to figure out what’s happening and what I can do.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. How long have you been in the hobby? From your description, I suspect you might benefit from some of the introductory posts or videos about how to run a saltwater tank. I would do that first before adding/killing any additional organisms.

Enerderek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amonia is highly toxic to fish. I suggest you look up how to cycle a new tank before wasting more money on livestock.

I don't think you've cycled the tank yet for the good bacteria to grow. It takes a few weeks to months! Be patient and test your water until amonia reaches 0

OP
OP
T

Thewrasseman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amonia is highly toxic to fish. I suggest you look up how to cycle a new tank before wasting more money on livestock.

I don't think you've cycled the tank yet for the good bacteria to grow. It takes a few weeks to months! Be patient and test your water until amonia reaches 0
This is kinda useless now because I’m going to sit down the tank and convert it to freshwater but I will cycle it for longer like you suggested.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back