Random wrasse deaths

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a mccoskers wrasse and ornate fairy wrasse online and both arrived in pretty good shape. The mccoskers ate the same day and then died randomly the second. The ornate took a day or so to eat but ate R.O.E just fine and was even eating a bunch of mysis last night. Well I got back from work and he was dead as well. No signs of being picked on just randomly died. Any insights?

this is my first time ordering fish online and am quite bummed. All my other fish seem fine

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a mccoskers wrasse and ornate fairy wrasse online and both arrived in pretty good shape. The mccoskers are same day and then died randomly. The ornate took a day or so to eat but ate R.O.E just fine and was even eating a bunch of mysis last night. Well I got back from work and he was dead as well. No signs of being picked on just randomly died. Any insights?

this is my first time ordering fish online and am quite bummed. All my other fish seem fine
I do not have any answers for you, but this is exactly why I refuse to order fish online. I like to be able to observe what I am buying. Sorry to hear this.

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have any answers for you, but this is exactly why I refuse to order fish online. I like to be able to observe what I am buying. Sorry to hear this.
They looked good though on arrival. No signs of anything for either death :/

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit this has kept me away as well and the anxiety watching that tracking....:face-with-spiral-eyes: It was bad enough when I was ordering pods lol

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry op I realized my reply wasn't helpful. If you have other living (thriving) fish then maybe something happened during shipping is perhaps where I was going..idk. Sorry to hear

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35 ppt
77-80 degrees
7.5 alk
Calcium and magnesium were within measure a few days ago
Been a while since I tested ammonia. Rock has been established for a few years
Also been a while since I tested nitrate or phosphate. Will check those tonight I guess

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UNWD?

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UNWD?

Could be I guess but there was no weird behavior, except death. It’s like they had a heart attack or something. These are my first deaths in a while so pretty bummed! Kinda forgot what it felt like.

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates and phosphates are oddly zero which would explain my poor torch coloring but not the deaths.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always suspect something during shipping or acclimation when they die that quick.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back