75 gallon gig tank

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're cool with a visit, I'd love to swing through! I'm just baffled at the amount of light you put on them and they are LOVING life!

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those colors are stunning!! I bet it was a small fortune and a ton of searching to get those beauties.
Thanks! I went through a LOT of them, until cipro treatment came along. I'd get one, add another, then the new arrival took out the established one and both died. Repeat. For years, until cipro. Once cipro was discovered, these were the last nems I bought. Made the world of difference. Yes, I hunted them for years, but not anymore.

awesome how about ID 's for some of those GEMS
Thanks! All stichodactyla gigantea, just different colors of them. Most call them gigs for short. Sorry for the confusing thread title.

wow! amazing tank and amazing nems!
Thanks!

If you're cool with a visit, I'd love to swing through! I'm just baffled at the amount of light you put on them and they are LOVING life!
I sent you a pm, I think. If you didn't get it, post here again.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you're still at it...what happened to selling goliath?? He looks like he's still up top! That big yellow is a bleached green!!!

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you're still at it...what happened to selling goliath?? He looks like he's still up top! That big yellow is a bleached green!!!
Oh, honey. It's a FAR, FAR, FAR cry from bleached. I would agree with you, 99% of the yellows I see posted are bleached greens, but this isn't one, I assure you. This one is in STELLAR condition. Yes, it's green, but not bleached. It has brown undertone. Most people with greens, give them the wrong spectrum, and they suffer color and health wise-but people can still grow them in size with food-they still suffer from wrong lighting, and the color/tent quality shows. Green gigs, when given strong light, OF THE PROPER SPECTRUM, will appear yellow. They're still green, just a neon green. A mediocre health green will appear darker green with decent lights in decent health. Under PRIME conditions, green gigs will appear yellow. But, understand, seeing a yellow gig typically DOES mean an unhealthy green. There's more than meets they eye when it comes to color. It's not a one size fits all.

Here's the same anemone right now, no 5K spots. Typical reef LED lights for sps only-14K color approx:

Goliath is still here. Tanks were on auto/coast for months, decided to keep my tanks. Love hate relationship with the hobby.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, this green gig gets over 2000 par. Try meeting that with ANY out of the box LED fixture. Not going to happen.

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goliath is still here. Tanks were on auto/coast for months, decided to keep my tanks. Love hate relationship with the hobby.

In the event that you might break down in the future, I'll start stashing $$$ so I snag some nems :spy: I also never hope you decide to leave us.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, this green gig gets over 2000 par. Try meeting that with ANY out of the box LED fixture. Not going to happen.

2,000 par....dang Taylor...no wonder he's yellow. HA HA...

Naw, I think he may be more yellow under those lights. Interesting setup. It's amazing they're getting that amount of par and able to handle it. But...as always your gigs look very healthy

Looking closer at the yellow, he doesn't looked bleached in the close up. I do believe he might be more yellow than green even without those lights. May be a rare yellow gig!

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the event that you might break down in the future, I'll start stashing $$$ so I snag some nems :spy: I also never hope you decide to leave us.
Thanks Jay! I have no plans on leaving long term, but may need to downsize due to family requirements in the future. I've had tanks since I was 8 years old, now I'm 45, so I've got it running through my veins. I'll get the grand kids addicted in the next decade.

2,000 par....dang Taylor...no wonder he's yellow. HA HA...

Naw, I think he may be more yellow under those lights. Interesting setup. It's amazing they're getting that amount of par and able to handle it. But...as always your gigs look very healthy

Looking closer at the yellow, he doesn't looked bleached in the close up. I do believe he might be more yellow than green even without those lights. May be a rare yellow gig!
No, not a rare one. I'm telling you, IT'S A GREEN GIG. The typical, run of the mill, green gig. Nothing special. I'm telling you, it's one shade of green, as a species, they just appear more yellow WITH PROPER CARE IN THE RIGHT ENVIRONMENT. Just because you see one in the wild that's green, doesn't mean it's getting it's needs met. Nature can be brutal, and not meet animals needs in the wild.

Gigs can/do handle an absurd amount of light, but you can't just turn it all on to that level at one time. They need to be acclimated UP TO that level of lighting.

Here's a pic of the same gig, again, but a few year ago. First when I got it, then when it got "acclimated". It wasn't in it's "prime" but was healthy, typically what you see guys post of their green gigs when the think it's doing well, just "under performing" in the lighting requirements.
THIS is bleached yellow:

Here is recovered. Mediocre lighting. All same anemone.

I've had more than several greens. Trust me, not my first rodeo. Green is green, they just appear different, all light and health dependent. You can call them yellow too, sometimes I still do, but reality is, it's the same color morph, just displaying a variety of health. ...send me your greens, I'll turn them yellow for you... :)

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another one from a few years ago. I don't really have a good time period to show, this guy got acclimated to DIY LED right away, that's super strong, even compared to today's fixtures, it's a powerhouse of a LED light, just not controllable. I know it appears as this is a rare yellow or lime green gig, but I'm telling you, it's not. They're all the same once they are acclimated and healthy, and given strong lights of proper spectrum.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another one from a few years ago. I don't really have a good time period to show, this guy got acclimated to DIY LED right away, that's super strong, even compared to today's fixtures, it's a powerhouse of a LED light, just not controllable. I know it appears as this is a rare yellow or lime green gig, but I'm telling you, it's not. They're all the same once they are acclimated and healthy, and given strong lights of proper spectrum.

You can always tell a good acclimated healthy gig. Tents get super long and hairy.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jared, I just thought of this. Look up reef1589 ... I have robbie's old green gig. Look though his threads. Look at how green his was. I've had his green for a couple years now. Same color as my other green, just a different tank. He had it and it was a dark green. Now I have it, lime green. I'm just say'in.

Here's Robbie's from a couple days ago.

Look up his threads, it's much darker when he had it.

Here's when I finished medicating it when I first got it. Robbie's nem.

About 2+ years between photo's.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back