75 Gallon - My first saltwater tank

Roid Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my 75G used from craigslist. Found what I thought was a good deal. I ended up buying it around May of 2017. Tank was advertised to leak so I knew it would need a reseal. No biggie. Then I had to start buying equipment for it. Buying piece by piece I realized was still expensive, and I could have gotten a better deal buying a used system all at one time. Well, lesson learned for next time.
I ended up resealing the tank and getting a different stand for the tank, traded the stand and hood I had for just a nicer stand. But did all the plumbing, got all the basic equipment, and got the tank set up for my birthday in the beginning of December. (had rock that I got from macna in a brute cycling since august). I let the tank run with the original aquascape in it for about two weeks after setting up before adding our first fish.

So, to date,
It is a 75G mixed reef. Going to focus heavy on softies with a couple LPS. going to have a small hammer garden and my wife wants a bubble. the rest will be softies.
Got about 15 different zoas at the moment. some Kenya tree, a brown toadstool, a green hammer w/ purple tips, xenia, gsp, another clove polyp.
Fish right now are two black and white clowns, a yellow tang, and a two spot bristletooth (blue eye tang). I have lost a few fish to jumping, hence the reason I have not bought any more fish until I build a hood, which I am currently working on right now. I lost my favorite little guy, a geometric pygmy hawkfish. guy was so freakin cool. but I have my eyes on another one at the moment :)
CuC is small, but working well for my tank. ~5 blue leg hermits, 3 trochus snails, 2 Astraea, 1 porcelain crab, pom pom crab, cleaner shrimp.

I am running a jebao dct-12000 tuned down for my return pump. I have a 48" and a 24" current loop led, but I have a 48" two bulb t5 I can mount inside the hood when I get it built. going to take the 24" current off and save that for my son's tank that he wants. plan to get him a small tank once his little brother gets here in May. But I am running a 3 chambered sump with a filter sock, a chamber in the middle that I recently added sand to and am looking into lights for a refugium in that section. and just a bit of extra rock for added bio filtration. running two 150w heaters. Have a tunze osmolator for the ato. I still need to get a skimmer.
IMG_3561.jpg IMG_3564.jpg IMG_3634.jpg IMG_3826.jpg

etmanning1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I’m a huge fan of softies and LPS dominated ranks. Mine is as well.

A word of caution however, 3 tangs in a 75 is not going to work in the long run. I’d stick to keeping only one of the smaller bristletooth tangs and getting rid of the yellow and the other blue eye.

I’d definitely recommend running a skimmer too. A BM curve 5 would be perfect for this system.

Keep us updated!

OP
OP
Roid Reefs

Roid Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I’m a huge fan of softies and LPS dominated ranks. Mine is as well.

A word of caution however, 3 tangs in a 75 is not going to work in the long run. I’d stick to keeping only one of the smaller bristletooth tangs and getting rid of the yellow and the other blue eye.

I’d definitely recommend running a skimmer too. A BM curve 5 would be perfect for this system.

Keep us updated!

Thanks for the advice! im looking into skimmers right now, I am going to look into the curve. But I only have two tangs at the moment. The blue eye / two spot is just different names for the same one. It is from the Ctenochaetus genus. My wife loved the yellow so we had to get one. I know I need a little larger tank, that's why we got a small one. I do have plans to upgrade to a much larger FOWLR tank in the future :) wife also wants an emperor angel. so I'm planning saving for that build which will probably come in the next year or two.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, nice clean up of the thank and re setup.

OP
OP
Roid Reefs

Roid Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, nice clean up of the thank and re setup.
Thanks! Kind of had to rescape, got the large rock in the middle. LFS had that one (one of the life rock shapes) and finally decided to sell it. the picture does not give the depth of it justice. I need to hone in my picture taking skills.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Kind of had to rescape, got the large rock in the middle. LFS had that one (one of the life rock shapes) and finally decided to sell it. the picture does not give the depth of it justice. I need to hone in my picture taking skills.

don't we all on the picture taking:rolleyes::D

OP
OP
Roid Reefs

Roid Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into the BM Curve 5. Good price. I read a review on here about them, but most of the comments were from 2013. Anyone running one of these currently? are they still what they were when they came out?

Foxy-88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking rock scape! Going to be a good looking tank with all those corals in it. I have a 75 gallon as well with a euphyllia garden. Love those corals

OP
OP
Roid Reefs

Roid Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, Got three firefish to add to the system. have them in QT. also worked some more on the hood with my son. we have the frame built, getting plywood to wrap it this weekend.

Foxy-88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, Got three firefish to add to the system. have them in QT. also worked some more on the hood with my son. we have the frame built, getting plywood to wrap it this weekend.
Hope to see a pic of those fish. I have a purple firefish. Is super skittish but it's always a joy when he's out and about

OP
OP
Roid Reefs

Roid Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope to see a pic of those fish. I have a purple firefish. Is super skittish but it's always a joy when he's out and about
I will get one soon. They’re quite skittish in the qt. The lfs has a purple and helfrichi when I looked a couple weeks ago, I wanted to get one of each. But the purple and helfrichi sold before I could get all the stuff for my qt together. So, three regular fire fish it is. I had an inch scare before and decided I’m not buying until I can qt them. Not making that mistake again.

Foxy-88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get one soon. They’re quite skittish in the qt. The lfs has a purple and helfrichi when I looked a couple weeks ago, I wanted to get one of each. But the purple and helfrichi sold before I could get all the stuff for my qt together. So, three regular fire fish it is. I had an inch scare before and decided I’m not buying until I can qt them. Not making that mistake again.
Smart move. I had a regular firefish with my purple but it just vanished one day and I never found a body.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back