75 Gallon Tank Build

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone! I'M BACK - Follow me on Instagram @loucityreefing to stay up to date with photos!

I started a 20 gallon build thread that did not last long due to planning this upgrade within a year ... I should've known better than to start small ... While it was easier there were definitely some challenges in the smaller system with no sump. I am now upgrading to a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon sump!

I would love some advice on stocking ideas! (This will be a reef tank so reef-friendly occupants would be ideal lol)

Equipment:
Lighting - Ai Prime 16hd x 2 (will be getting 2 more later on)
Powerheads - Ai Nero 3 x 2
Skimmer - AquaMaxx ConeS-Q1
Return Pump - Jeboa MDP 3500
Heater - 350 watt Helio PTC Smart Heater (Innovative Marine)

I built my own stand, which is not completed yet as I still have to wrap it. It is 49" L x 19" W x 36" H. If you have any suggestions on how to wrap it please let me know!

I'm looking for a rail system to hang the 16hds. I may have to DIY a solution together!

I am not done aquascaping but please let me know what you think so far!

IMG_5172.jpg IMG_5197.jpg IMG_5199.jpg IMG_5201.jpg

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, great start. I am looking forward to more pictures and updates. As for advice on ideas for the build, I would recommend looking at other builds and searching the internet to see what you like.

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, great start. I am looking forward to more pictures and updates. As for advice on ideas for the build, I would recommend looking at other builds and searching the internet to see what you like.
Yeah I’ve taken some inspiration from other builds on the forums. This is my first “big” aquascape build so I was a little intimidated but I think it’s turned out decent so far! My biggest this was wanting a “tier” layered scape for different corals. I really appreciate the compliment, and I will be posting more picture in the near future!

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing your progress! On a tank this size, do you think it’s worth it to go for the Nero 5s?

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing your progress! On a tank this size, do you think it’s worth it to go for the Nero 5s?
Yeah - the Nero 5s would totally be worth it, but I’m just using the Ai products from my old tank to this one. I have seen 75 gallons run off 2 Ai Nero 3s, usually pushed to about 80%, but I do plan to upgrade at some point. I’m not sure whether that’ll be the Nero 5s or maybe some MP40s

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - the Nero 5s would totally be worth it, but I’m just using the Ai products from my old tank to this one. I have seen 75 gallons run off 2 Ai Nero 3s, usually pushed to about 80%, but I do plan to upgrade at some point. I’m not sure whether that’ll be the Nero 5s or maybe some MP40s
Makes sense! Is that why you’re using the 16hds, too?

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update on the 3rd and final piece to the aquascape ... I'm not sure I'm in LOVE with it I think the bottom left piece needs another small stop to make it look layered. The ridge on the right looks unique. I would love to get some HONEST opinions on it! (I know it's ultimately what I like and want, but I love people's feed back)

Attachments

• IMG_5213.jpg
    IMG_5213.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5212.jpg
    IMG_5212.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got all of my plumbing equipment to finally drill and plumb! Honestly, I never would've guessed this would be the most fun part for me! I have never plumbed anything and it was super fun just learning something new! I'll post some pictures next weekend when it's all completed!

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing done! It's been running 3 days with NO leaks finally! (There were a few leaks from the beginning)

Although, I messed up pretty bad! I don't want to paint the back black. I was going to use window tint but now everything is hard plumbed in and I won't be able to apply the tint ... Any suggestions on how to hide the pipes in a clean way?

Attachments

• IMG_5258.jpg
    IMG_5258.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5256.jpg
    IMG_5256.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5257.jpg
    IMG_5257.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5255.jpg
    IMG_5255.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5254.jpg
    IMG_5254.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5253.jpg
    IMG_5253.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing done! It's been running 3 days with NO leaks finally! (There were a few leaks from the beginning)

Although, I messed up pretty bad! I don't want to paint the back black. I was going to use window tint but now everything is hard plumbed in and I won't be able to apply the tint ... Any suggestions on how to hide the pipes in a clean way?
Bump to see if anyone has suggestions!

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking Idea:
2 Clowns
1 flame hawk (I've never kept one, but they look awesome! lol)
1 Yellow Tang (Getting from Biota, yes, yes I plan to upgrade in the future)
A goby (I haven't decided which one?)
1-2 Wrasse (Also, haven't decided which one. I believe 2 may be too many)

SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED. YES - I'VE ALREADY DONE RESEARCH AND MY LFS KEEPS 1 YELLOW IN A 75 AND HAS HAD IT THERE FOR YEARS!

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really looking forward to this BRS Black Friday sale! I was contemplating getting a BRS mini reactor so I can run carbon from day 1, but wasn't sure if I should start it out so early or wait a little while? Anyone have any advice here?

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a little over a month since the last update, but I plan on sharing some pictures soon!

I have a few coral in the tank now and plan to add a ton more to come! Current stocking list is 2 clowns, 1 flame hawk, and 1 Melanurus wrasse.

I plan to add some sort of Gobi or Blenny, a mandarin/red scooter (when my pod population grows!) and a tang of sorts.

All parameters are looking good, water is crystal clear, and corals are growing like crazy!!! I do ~25% weekly water change now that the tank has cycled.

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a very long time since my last update, so here goes nothing!

Since the last update my family grew from 2 of us to 3 of us! Whew, being a new parent and upkeeping a reef tank can be a lot!

The 2 clowns are still alive and well, the flame hawk (Stanley) is as cool as ever, the Melanurus Wrasse unfortunately has passed, but I have added a fox face who has been growing and growing!

I had few BEAUTIFUL torch corals and a fire red digi that was doing amazing, but my IM heater went out around October of last year (2023) while I was out of town and corals never recovered.

Since November, I have been battling a TERRRIBLE case of Dinos ... My patience is wearing thin with them. I have increased feedings throughout the day + larger quantities and nothing, I have tried manual removal, I have done a blackout for 3 days, since I did not have any more corals, and nothing. I've been recommended a few things to dose Brightwell NeoNtrio, or to add a UV sterilizer (Specifically Aquatop SP-7). I'm really not sure what to do here. Below are my current parameters taken as of Saturday 1/27/2024

DKh: 12.0
CA: 420
MG: 1340
PO4: 0.00
NO3: 0.00

I understand that my phosphates and nitrates are bottomed out, which is what likely caused the dinos to appear in the first place. I really don't want to use a chemical to fix the issue because I feel like the root of the issue won't be fixed.

See pictures for references. I know this post is quite lengthy, but I have promised myself to stay on top of updates this year and to not give up due to dinos. I really plan to make this tank a beautiful reef tank this year. Although, time and patience are not prevailing and I need to be active in my method to destroy these dinos!

Attachments

• IMG_8014.jpg
    IMG_8014.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8015.jpg
    IMG_8015.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 10

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a very long time since my last update, so here goes nothing!

Since the last update my family grew from 2 of us to 3 of us! Whew, being a new parent and upkeeping a reef tank can be a lot!

The 2 clowns are still alive and well, the flame hawk (Stanley) is as cool as ever, the Melanurus Wrasse unfortunately has passed, but I have added a fox face who has been growing and growing!

I had few BEAUTIFUL torch corals and a fire red digi that was doing amazing, but my IM heater went out around October of last year (2023) while I was out of town and corals never recovered.

Since November, I have been battling a TERRRIBLE case of Dinos ... My patience is wearing thin with them. I have increased feedings throughout the day + larger quantities and nothing, I have tried manual removal, I have done a blackout for 3 days, since I did not have any more corals, and nothing. I've been recommended a few things to dose Brightwell NeoNtrio, or to add a UV sterilizer (Specifically Aquatop SP-7). I'm really not sure what to do here. Below are my current parameters taken as of Saturday 1/27/2024

DKh: 12.0
CA: 420
MG: 1340
PO4: 0.00
NO3: 0.00

I understand that my phosphates and nitrates are bottomed out, which is what likely caused the dinos to appear in the first place. I really don't want to use a chemical to fix the issue because I feel like the root of the issue won't be fixed.

See pictures for references. I know this post is quite lengthy, but I have promised myself to stay on top of updates this year and to not give up due to dinos. I really plan to make this tank a beautiful reef tank this year. Although, time and patience are not prevailing and I need to be active in my method to destroy these dinos!
hey, went through something close to this early in my 75 gallon build. I attacked it by cleaning the glass with a magnet scraper, and tiring the sand overnight when the lights went out. After doing that I would dose 1/2 the reccomended amount of API Quickstart everyday. This helped me, but I cannot guarantee this solves your issue

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding heavier and more often and we finally Have traceable nitrates! It seems some of the dino Has turned into sludge?? I’m not really too sure what that is about. Phosphates are still undetectable. Time for a better CUC along with pods and phyto? Im not sure I need to dose Neonitro, but was thinking about dosing Neophos to raise phosphates. Although, I heard phyto will raise phosphates so Im not sure I’ll need to dose neophos.

PO4 - 0.00
NO3 - 1.1

pictures attached to show the “sludge” as best possible.

IMG_8055.jpeg IMG_8056.jpeg IMG_8060.jpeg IMG_8057.jpeg IMG_8059.jpeg IMG_8058.jpeg

Back