75 gallon up and running, now the fun part

prospervandale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I first got into the hobby I was obsessed with tangs rabbit fish etc. but I’ve been spending my summers spearfishing (I live in RI) and even in the cold, murky, turbulent NE waters I’m always blown away by the sheer diversity. I’d just love to fill the tank with tons of vibrant peaceful tiny fish. I have 110 gal total volume and I’m implementing a disgustingly effective refugim. I don’t have any must haves but I’m looking for suggestions so far I’m at
1 purple firefish
2 barred dart fish
1 eviota goby
1 coris wrasse
1 melanarus wrasse.
those are what I have in mind. Now I have a deep appreciation for wrasse (it’s nearly all I see in RI as far as small fish go) I know that’s already like halfway stocked but does anyone have any other cool wacky/ rare suggestions... or any idea of what order I should go in. P.S. I REALLY like squirrel fish and I know they don’t like light but does anyone have any experience with them? Coral crouches too!

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as im aware squirrel fish are a no go with small fish and will definitely eat your eviota goby

Pencil wrasses are cool but will probably be bullied by your halichoeres, as they are so easily intimidated it seems, mine was fine with an aleady established blue star leopard wrasse, but there was some agression at the start where hed hide most of the time in the rocks during the day.
Bandtail waspfish are cool, never kept them though and could probably eat the eviota goby, but should be fine with everything else, but as they are predatory they will need special conditioning.
Starcki damsels
Prognathodes aculeatus, chaetodon burgessi.
Any species of anthias is cool to me, especially the flavvogutatus complex.

OP
OP
P

prospervandale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tank
As far as im aware squirrel fish are a no go with small fish and will definitely eat your eviota goby

Pencil wrasses are cool but will probably be bullied by your halichoeres, as they are so easily intimidated it seems, mine was fine with an aleady established blue star leopard wrasse, but there was some agression at the start where hed hide most of the time in the rocks during the day.
Bandtail waspfish are cool, never kept them though and could probably eat the eviota goby, but should be fine with everything else, but as they are predatory they will need special conditioning.
Starcki damsels
those sound

Starcki damsels
Those sound like some awesome suggestions! I really like the wasp fish!... if only I knew where to get n

Attachments

• A19E30DA-8ECE-4D58-A565-0974D0FBDBD0.jpeg
    A19E30DA-8ECE-4D58-A565-0974D0FBDBD0.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
P

prospervandale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I saw this fish at the LFS it’s a 2 stripe fusilier... I didn’t impulse buy. But I’m wondering should I go back? Or was I right in walking away

OP
OP
P

prospervandale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m actually waiting on the fish... just tested 0.25 for ammonia. Headed to the lfs to pick up some cured live rock. Maybe 10 more lbs of live sand too. Hoping that’ll drop the ammonia to 0 sooner than later. Does anyone have any advice?

OP
OP
P

prospervandale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temporary lighting, not putting strong lights on fir at least 3 months to mitigate algae growth.

Attachments

• 43020748-B41B-4411-A0B2-E7BF7DB3A4BD.jpeg
    43020748-B41B-4411-A0B2-E7BF7DB3A4BD.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 15
Back